Starting without clutch pressed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Starting without clutch pressed

All you Defender owners with a manual transmission:
Is it common to be able to start the truck without the cluch fully pressed? Vehicles I owned in the passed required the cluch to be pressed in fully in order to start the engine?

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I am pretty sure that you can actually start the Defender with the clutch completely out (and the truck in or out of gear). It will pull the truck forward (or backwards I suppose if the tranny was in reverse) if it is in-gear. Out of gear, you can start it fine without the clutch pressed.

I read somewhere once that this is actually a technique used to get a truck moving on a steep incline if the truck was stalled or otherwise "off".
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:17 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yep. I start mine with the truck in neutral without touching the clutch. Screws me up when someone else has driven it and leave it in gear. And yes you can start it in gear as well. I use to do that when I had a mean green starter. It actually got the truck moving fast enough for me to just tap the gas to get moving faster.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure that my truck is operating properly...

Cheers...

Old March 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
kiefffff
Keith Rider
1994 Portofino ST: #217

Registry
I discovered this by accident one day. Now usually always start without clutch depressed.
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:17 PM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

There's really not much difference either way. Not depressing the clutch may save a minuscule amount of wear on the throw out bearing, but you run the risk of lurching your truck into something (e.g. your buddy who's standing in front admiring the "Land Rover" logo) if you forget that it was in gear.
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

yeah i found this out on accident too. just turned the key and it started. i really like the feature because you can just open the door and start it and walk away and let it warm up.

but one time i started it without pushing down the clutch and it was in first gear and the thing heaved forward and almost smashed into the car infront of me, haha so be careful!!!
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

You'd have to check it in the owner's manual, but I think you are supposed to be able to start it in gear in 1st low.
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:15 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

I had to run after mine once. Yes, it will start in reverse. The tires will chirp, so if you are not inside, and don't have the e-brake locked down, you better be quick I think the ignition is on the right side so you can't reach in the window and start it. I woulda' been faqd.
I also had the master cyl go out and had to drive a few miles with no clutch. You can start and shift it no problem if the rpms are right.
Old March 6th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Monkeyboy

Just another "benefit" of an over 6k pound GVWR
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

Seems to me any decent offroad vehicle should ALWAYS let you start the engine with the clutch engaged. Offroad, it's very common to start the truck fully engaged to get myself out of a pickle when I don't want the risk of rolling forward or backward on a hill while I'm fiddling with the clutch.

If I were a better driver, maybe I wouldn't need to do that so much.
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:29 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
All you Defender owners with a manual transmission:
Is it common to be able to start the truck without the cluch fully pressed? Vehicles I owned in the passed required the cluch to be pressed in fully in order to start the engine?

Cheers...
Sure is (my Manual Transmission Discovery could be started in gear as well). I believe this has roots in most manufacturer's legal departments, having decided that for their own liability, it would be best not to allow their vehicles to be started in gear, to prevent the less than aware drivers from doing so and causing damage, as others have noted. Whether it has become a law or not I am not aware, but I don't believe it is.

Many manufacturers who have any intention of their 4x4 being used off-road incorporate override switches that allow the vehicle to be started in gear for off-road use. These switches must be depressed before attempting to start, and only allow one attempt before needing to be depressed again. I had an '89 Pathfinder with an override switch, and most every late model Toyota 4 wheel drive truck I have seen are so equipped.

Land Rover apparently just figured screw the less than attentive, as it is an integral part of serious off-roading with a manual transmission, and cut the cost and complexity of the extra circuit.

Old March 7th, 2007, 10:13 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Land Rover apparently just figured screw the less than attentive, as it is an integral part of serious off-roading with a manual transmission, and cut the cost and complexity of the extra circuit.
Cheers to Land Rover!
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
My 04 Jeep Rubicon had a fuse you could pull in the fuse box to allow it to start without the clutch being depressed.

97 D90 SW
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:33 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

if you had al queada up ya ass you don't want to be messing about switches buttons clutches ect, you want to turn the key and get the hell out of there

stall the engine in water, the proper way to start is in gear and clutch out, pushes any water out of the exhaust rather than suck into the engine

Old March 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Grover
Mike

Registry
Exclamation

Last weekend I was installing my VDO gauges. I turned the ignition to test my voltmeter gauge and dash lights and the truck jumped a few inches...I 'bout sh!t my britches!

Cheers...

Old March 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bterpstra
Seems to me any decent offroad vehicle should ALWAYS let you start the engine with the clutch engaged. Offroad, it's very common to start the truck fully engaged to get myself out of a pickle when I don't want the risk of rolling forward or backward on a hill while I'm fiddling with the clutch.

If I were a better driver, maybe I wouldn't need to do that so much.
I ditto that!
Very common to start offroad in gear (1st or reverse) when the engine stalled and you need to go down or up the hill.
Also useful when you are stuck in between rocks and need to move very little with low torque (i.e. reduce slipperage) to go up a ledge or something.

You can even do that to go over a curb slowly without making the engine scream (for it not to stall)! (more seriously, this is what you would do to see if the clutch needs to be replaced/adjusted on many cars not only Land Rovers)
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Not too long ago, well something like 30 years, all manual transmissions would start in gear.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:19 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Not too long ago, well something like 30 years, all manual transmissions would start in gear.
It's still 98% that way in Europe...
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch, start, starting