Starting to Shop for 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 6th, 2014, 10:44 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Starting to Shop for 110

OK, so I'm starting to shop for a 110. I am on a tight budget, but with enough patience I think I can get it done. I certainly don't expect perfect. But when I look at the various problems the vehicle has, some seem OK to me, others I just don't want to touch.

Right now I'm wondering about rust in the bulkhead/firewall. Rust above the vents, or just under the bonnet along the firewall -- what do you think? Is this something...

A. You would avoid at all costs.
B. You would take if you knew you could just swap it some time in the next few years.
C. You would not worry about, just replace it when it you get around to it.

What other things should I be looking for that are specifically Defender issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:38 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Ha! Careful what you ask for. A complete list of all the things to look out for might send you running in another direction. No doubt you'll get some great advice here but I would also encourage you to do copious searching to learn as much as possible as well. Maybe study some of the build threads here that show what it takes to repair these trucks correctly. There's a wealth of information and a tight community to help as well. Good Luck and welcome.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 7th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
What is your budget?
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:48 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK, here are the details on the vehicle as I know it. I believe the owner is honest, but they seem to only have the ability to take photos with an iPad...... Here is the folder of photos that I have so far: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...EE&usp=sharing

1. Original LHD
  2. Had A/C, but was removed, thus the dash and metal box under the hood.
  3. 3.5 V8
  4. Good interior, but basic cargo rear
  5. Runs and drives well according to owner, is current for Canada, safety inspections, etc...
  6. Has Salisbury rear
  7. Galv frame

Rust on pillars of bulkhead was supposed to have been fixed for the import from UK in 2009. The current rust is a problem, but from these pics I'm not sure how to judge.

I need photos of the floor and foot wells, and the door sills.

The Galv frame may make the whole thing a moot point since it may be unimportable. I'm going to work on Customs before making the trip up there. Obviously, it isn't a new truck trying to look old, but that type of logic doesn't work on bureaucratic paper pushers. In the mean time, I'm hoping for feedback and ideas from people here. We would be able to see the truck and walk away since it would only be a single over-night road trip to the location.
Old July 7th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
you could give it a shot on import - hard to see it is galvy frame as it has been painted ??? hint, hint

most areas otherwise look OK - but funky dash! and rear wooden boxes...could point to some gremlins that will be a pandoras box? Ask, ask, ask, then visit!!!
Old July 7th, 2014, 05:33 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
What info I have is that it was exported originally to Dubai, still has Arabic stickers and such on it. The tool boxes look funky, but they seem OK when you look at the photos of the inside showing that they don't harbor any rust or whatever underneath, they open to the truck bed over the wheel wells.

The tool boxes evidently come from its time in Africa. But... who really knows.

The dash is original config, but then stripped naked when the A/C was pulled. I don't know why they put the hand made instrument panel in.

I'm currently driving a very good to us 2004 DII: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmbailey/14545052461/

And a '65 IIa, which is a great original config truck, but is a running, driving, preservation project: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bhcmbailey/12580498445/

This Defender is shaping up to be another running preservation project. Which... That's OK, it takes time and effort, but that's just the way it is. Fact is, I like getting these things clean and "stock" so I don't have to mess with other people's mistakes. Right now, it looks like the A/C and Dash issues are really the only non-stock items on this truck. So when the owners get back in town I will be trying to set up some more pics and a possible visit.
Old July 12th, 2014, 03:05 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
OK, I'm going to look at this truck tomorrow. We found a bill for a galvanized frame dip in Dubai, so that should explain any questions Customs might have about it not being original. I'm planning to cross inland -- NOT in Vancouver, NOT at a major port.

I'm going to crawl all around the truck and make sure I know exactly what type of rust issues it has. But when I'm driving it, what should I be looking for, listening for, and trying to wring out of it?

The Discos and RRC's are pretty closely related, the Series truck, I know well, this will be first Defender.
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
OK, I'm going to look at this truck tomorrow. We found a bill for a galvanized frame dip in Dubai, so that should explain any questions Customs might have about it not being original. I'm planning to cross inland -- NOT in Vancouver, NOT at a major port.

I'm going to crawl all around the truck and make sure I know exactly what type of rust issues it has. But when I'm driving it, what should I be looking for, listening for, and trying to wring out of it?

The Discos and RRC's are pretty closely related, the Series truck, I know well, this will be first Defender.
Not saying it won't work out as customs agents are fallable like everyone else, but DOT's instructions to Customs entry officers is to not grant entry to any Land Rovers with galvanized chassis, even original ones that have been dipped. Dipping it "obscures" the original stamping's and is considered vin tampering. I have this in writing from Coleman Sachs, Bureau Chief of Import Compliance @ DOT. Believe I had already shared that with you in one of our emails.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 12th, 2014, 06:18 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yeah, the only reason I'm trying it is because I have record of the chassis being dipped. If it doesn't work, well I'll be disappointed, but oh well. I have not seen the truck yet either -- may be that I don't like what I see anyway. One way or another I'm mentally prepared to walk away. We'll spend some time in Vancouver showing the kids a "foreign country".
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:55 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Just to be clear, you are being told a receipt is not a pass. What you are actually doing is rolling the dice on whether an inland CBP agent knows his/her shit or gives a shit. Maybe you can make the sale conditioned on successful entry?

Clay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, start, starting