Starting the rebuild.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2013, 12:18 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Starting the rebuild....

My tear down is complete and I am looking at starting to bolt things back together. Truck is now a rolling chassis with engine and lines in. Is there any reference on the most effecient way to go about Body reassembly? Just looking for a step by step on the most effecient way to go about this so I'm not back tracking

I bought the "restoration guide" and have found it to be useful as a doorstop but not much else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Build up each section in the following order

Bulkhead
Seat box and Floorboards
Tub
Doors
Line it all up and bolt it in

Take the doors off and do your wiring next

Then finish the front end body
Then refit the doors
Then then the roof

Go back through it all to check for any missing fasteners and adjust panel gaps, and start in on water ingress prevention

Give me a call Friday or Saturday and I can walk you through a few things that may help...
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:36 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Build up the bulkhead before putting on the fenders, rear body etc. Get all of the mechanicals right and then the body and interior.
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2013, 12:57 AM
boswalt
Brian Oswalt
1988 exmod 110

Registry
Thanks....and Brian, I'll be calling for more parts....you're like my crack dealer now.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:02 AM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Build up each section in the following order

Bulkhead
Seat box and Floorboards
Tub
Doors
Line it all up and bolt it in

Take the doors off and do your wiring next

Then finish the front end body
Then refit the doors
Then then the roof

Go back through it all to check for any missing fasteners and adjust panel gaps, and start in on water ingress prevention

Give me a call Friday or Saturday and I can walk you through a few things that may help...
Wow... Not your first rodeo. Great response. I hope you are open to others calling on a possible future date, as I might go this route.

:2thumbsup
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:07 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Note- IMHO don't tighten down the bulkhead, inner fenders, or front radiator valance before getting the front wings on. It is really hard lining up the fender tops to the sides if the bulkhead is slightly leaning forward or backward.

Also for the roll cage, again I would get everything bolted but start tightening the roll cage from the top down as you will pull up the seat belt/inner tub tubes as you bolt the B pillar to the tub.

I am going through this process right now. If you are putting back on your lower door sills, you will have some adjustment in the Galvanized L bracket that connects the floor pan, seat box to the tub.

Don't be afraid to use a jack and a block to line up fenders from the bottom. It is all a big puzzle so take the body slowly.
Old July 26th, 2013, 02:40 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Just ignore that big pile of parts that's left over after reassembly
Old July 28th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The bulkhead can move a little to accommodate the windshield frame and the top. I installed the bulkhead but didn't have all the bolts tight including the two brackets to the frame. Installed the "B" pillars and then the rear tub. I did the full cage so I installed the bracket and frame supports next. After that I installed the rear sides and lined them up to the rear and the side. I then installed the top to and aligned everything up. The front fenders are next and radiator support. The last thing I did was install the doors. I found you could make a small adjustment to the bulkhead and windshield frame to get the best alignment of the front doors.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild, starting