Starting Procedure 2.5 TD European Model - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 10th, 2014, 11:34 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Starting Procedure 2.5 TD European Model

I just purchased a 1987 Defender 90 2.5 TD.

This is the overseas version.

The dashboard indicator panel has a lamp (cold engine) but no indicator display for the glo plugs. I assume the cold engine indicator is connected to the glo plugs and light up when the glo plugs are energized.

From what I read online to energize the glo plugs on this vehicle you turn the ignition key a bit beyond the II (second position), hold it for 10-15 seconds then turn the key to start the engine.

TThere appears to be no relay or timer for the glo plugs.

Is this the correct starting procedure with a cold engine?

Thanks

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2014, 11:39 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Assuming that the TD and the NA use the same system, 10-15 might not be enough time if it's really cold outside. It will probably still start though, I know my NA will, but it smokes a bit if I don't give it glow first when its cold outside. The glow plug light looks like a choke symbol instead of the coil light I'm used to on most American cars. Maybe your light is burned out?
Old March 10th, 2014, 11:52 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Jafir, thanks. the "choke" indicator does light up. I thought it was a strange indicator on a diesel engine. I guess they ran out of coil lights

Mine smokes a lot too so I will try your suggestion of holding it on for a bit longer. I was surprised that there was not a separate switch to active the glo plugs but now that you confirm this is the correct procedure, I will give that a try. My neighbors and my wife will be happier if I stop smoking!

regards,

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The more glow the better with these engines. They like a lot of glow.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:38 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
From my limited experience with this vehicle in the cold (yes it did get cold in NJ this year) , I understand a fire place is a good interior accessory.

I thought of buying an engine heater like they use at airports to preheat aircraft engines. A good blast from those would make things glow. Of course a new paint job would be required after each use.

Off course there is always the glow from the electrical wiring in British vehicles to keep things hot.
Old March 10th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Interior heat is another topic. That can be fixed. Properly setup, it can be as good as any vehicle. I'm toasty warm at -40 in mine.

Old March 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Just starting to address the interior heat problem. A piece of cardboard in front of the radiator was a good start. Going to address the various air leaks next and open up the heater box to see what civilizations have developed in there, replace the thermostat (I have no idea how long its been in the vehicle), replacing all the hoses, they look ok but no idea how old there really are.

By the time I finish all this we will be into the hot season so all these improvements will be moot.

I hope to get the same comfort I had in my Lexus 450. Not sure about the heated seats yet.

Any advice for improving interior heat is welcome. For that matter any advice for hot weather driving(protecting the engine not the passengers) is also welcome.
Old March 10th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Blocking the radiator should not be needed unless the thermostat is leaking.

1) Make sure the t. stat is working. The top hose should have no heat until normal operating temperature is reached. The temp gauge should come up to normal temp and then drop slightly. That is the tstat opening.

2) Remove the lower vent deflectors. They restrict the air a lot.

3) Insulate the truck. Stock insulation is basically non-existent.

4) Fix and drafts..... Sealing is not a thing Defenders are well known for.

5) Make sure the hot cold flap cable is adjusted to be tight to the hot position, holding the flap closed.

6) Overhaul the heater. The flap seals die and the core plugs up with mud. If you can fabricate a bit, there are much higher capacity heater available at under $200 than you can install.

As to protecting the engine, replacing the stock gauge and sender is a good idea. The stock ones tend not to show overheating well. VDO vision works well and is not expensive.

Old March 10th, 2014, 04:12 PM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Assuming that the TD and the NA use the same system, 10-15 might not be enough time if it's really cold outside. It will probably still start though, I know my NA will, but it smokes a bit if I don't give it glow first when its cold outside. The glow plug light looks like a choke symbol instead of the coil light I'm used to on most American cars. Maybe your light is burned out?

On a older Td , glowing it for 60 seconds might help quite a lot. 10 / 15 sec is definately not enough...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EMAIlL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old March 11th, 2014, 01:12 PM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Thanks for the replies for starting. I will try 60 seconds.

Also thanks for the suggestions for improving interior heat.

Great to have folks who are willing to provide practical advice. I expected this purchase to be a "learning experience"! Now I have learned a few things.

regards,

Richard

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mod, start, starting