starting problems and correct voltage to fuel pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

starting problems and correct voltage to fuel pump

It has been taking a seemingly long time for 1991 RRC to start and yesterday it got worse to the point that it took me an hour of trying before it would fire and run.
I looked at the threads on this subject (pre-4.0 litre) and the closest problem to mine never showed a resolution:

The relay clicks when I turn the key off and on
The fuel pump works when I supplied 12v

The voltage to the fuel pump was only 5.35v - is that correct.

The pump would pump sometimes when I turned the switch to "on" (I tested with an undone fuel line and listening for the motor) and sometimes not

I'm not sure how to test the fuel temp sensor - ohms?

The ignition switch acted strange. Sometimes after cranking for a long time, when I turned it off and then on, no lights showed and when I then tried to crank it nothing happened. This appears to be a ignition switch issue - yes?

I did notice many cracked rubber boots on various engine electrical connections (injectors, fuel thermistor) and wonder what to do about them. Electrical tape always unravels and I can't fir shrink tape over the connector.

Follow-up Post:

One more thing:

Recently the engine began to rev way up 1,500+ RPM at start - cold or hot - and then slowly stepped down to a normal idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:31 AM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Turned out to be the ignition switch....seems to be a common problem

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel, problems, start, starting