Starting problem (occassionally) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2006, 10:34 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Starting problem (occassionally)

Ok, so I searched around and couldn't find any threads that really are like this. My D starts without flaw most of the time. If I use the, wait 10 seconds, and then try it will start. Sometimes I have to do this several times before it will start. I replaced my fuel filter which looked like it hadnt been changed ever and the truck has 92k miles.

The past few days it has been starting right off without fail, since I changed the filter. Today it did it again, and I had to wait a couple of intervals and then it started right up.

I know the fire, oxygen and fuel, but am looking for where to look next. The wires and cap all look new but I haven't checked the coil. I am also going to change my plugs while I am doing an 'all-fluid replacement' maintenance.

any other thoughts?

Bill
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Scott 9835
Scott Falter
95 D90

You could have bad relays. (There under the passenger seat) There not to expensive, mine did that until i replaced the ecm and fuel pump relay.
Old January 11th, 2006, 01:02 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Thanks for the tip. I will check those.
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

That made sense to me, too.
I keep a spare if you want to try that out, Bill.
Old January 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Try this site for your relays, just over $12.00 for one & quick on delivery...

www.rockauto.com
Old January 12th, 2006, 07:23 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Thanks for the offer Rod, but it is not anything major right now as it only happens once in a while. If it is something I can replace and it is cheap all the better. Slowly turning into a new truck!

Do you know what the relays are called or the part no. for them? I looked on the site and am not sure what they are called besides relays.

thanks,
Bill
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

Part number from RockAuto:

0332014112 $ 12.08
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
so, just an update. If I keep 91 octane in it, it starts without fail if the outside temperature is below say 60F. Once the temp starts rising, it will start if it is the first start of the day, but after that more than likely it will not and I will have to go through the waiting cycle until it fires. If use anything less that 91 octane, I dont have a chance in hell of it starting any time soon. maybe a pressure problem?

edit - I should say the outside temperature gets around 70F+.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
so, just an update. If I keep 91 octane in it, it starts without fail if the outside temperature is below say 60F. Once the temp starts rising, it will start if it is the first start of the day, but after that more than likely it will not and I will have to go through the waiting cycle until it fires. If use anything less that 91 octane, I dont have a chance in hell of it starting any time soon. maybe a pressure problem?

edit - I should say the outside temperature gets around 70F+.

Water temp sensor? When mine went out, the truck would run very rough, then would not re-start for 10 minutes.
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
really? That is interesting. I did just buy a new sensor and gauge to replace the one in there with the fancy dancy one with actual temperatures on it. Guess I should flush and fill to see if that fixes the problem. thanks.
Old May 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolvedic
really? That is interesting. I did just buy a new sensor and gauge to replace the one in there with the fancy dancy one with actual temperatures on it. Guess I should flush and fill to see if that fixes the problem. thanks.
My limited understanding is as follows. The temp sensor more or less tells the ECU in what sort of conditions the car is operating. Based upon its reading, the fuel richness is adjusted. When working right, the ECU will run the engine rich when the water is cold - what you would expect if driving in the frigid mountains. When not working, the ECU will send the engine to rich at the wrong time. This can cause the engine to run poorly, or worse, keep it from starting.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:05 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The symptoms you describe do indeed sound like the coolant temp sender, however;

It would not be the same sensor that gives you a reading for your temp guage. The EFI coolant temp sensor is located on the front L side of the intake manifold just in front of the #1 fuel injector. It can be tested back through the wiring harness to the ECU.

Get a shop manual. The fuel injection section will give a detailed test proceedure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 8th, 2006, 02:19 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
So, I have been driving my *mumble*jeep*mumble* for a few weeks and garaged the D. I have been taking it out once a week or so to make runs around town. I drove to work today, and it started fine but after stopping at a friends after work it wouldn't start again. I have ordered the parts stated above but havent seen them yet. Anyways, we popped the hood and while I turned it over he unplugged a sensor located on the center front top of the intake manifold, and as I was turning it over he plugged it back in and the D started right up.

It seems to be starting ok now, but the the Check Engine light came on and is now on. Is there a way to clear this without a code reader? Can someone tell me what kind of code reader/reset diag device that will work with my 95?

I ordered the workshop manuals too, but got them either. So, I am not sure what the sensor is...
Old June 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

On my 94, I just disconnect the battery. If you fixed the problem that is throwing the code, the light won't come back on again. There should be a LED display so you can read the code without a reader.
Old June 8th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I had a similar problem and it was the ignition switch. It commonly goes out, and it is easy to replace. A good way to check is to see if you are getting voltage to the coil when the ignition is tried, although there are a lot of other ways to check.

Also, another consideration, is the idle air control valve is sticking--also common. Take it out and clean it.
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:40 AM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
can you point me in the direction of the idle air control valve? while I am waiting on my manuals I can at least pull it and clean it.

thanks guys,
Bill
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Top left of plenum as you're looking at it from the front bumper. Screws into the plenum from the passenger side with a bigger than 1 inch fitting.
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Howdy, Bill!
I'd be happy to loan you a manual til yours shows up.
Old June 9th, 2006, 06:38 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Hey Rod!
Nah that is ok, I got so much work to do this weekend, I am not going to get around to it until next week and everything should be here by then. You better be careful, I might take you up on one of those offers one of these days. Hope that engine tinkering is going well.
Old June 15th, 2006, 08:12 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Just an update. the E.F.I temp sensor fixed my starting problems it seems. thanks for the workshop guide recommendation, it is awesome. thanks everyone.

bill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting