Starter switch broke, now what? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 17th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Starter switch broke, now what?

Fun night tonight leaving work. Go to start the truck, and "SNAP" something gives way inside the ignition switch.

Key turns, but doesn't do anything at all. Electrical is stuck in the "ON" position, steering wheel is unlocked, but engine didn't crank long enough to start. I suspect the link between the tumbler and the actual switch mechanism is what gave out.

About 10 minutes of throwing dash parts in the back, and I have it hotwired and on the way home. Yanked the feed wire off the switch to shut it down.

This gets me to the "Now What?" part, for tomorrow morning. The book, of course, will show me how to rebuild a component like the starter but has nothing whatsoever about the starter switch other than a wiring diagram. So where do I look, and what am I expecting to find?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

My guess is that yours broke like mine did. When you opened the column was the back half of the switch just loose in there dangling from the wires? Anyway, I don't think there is much you can do aside from buying a new switch. It isn't that exp. and takes about 1 beer to install (including putting the column housing back).
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

actually, the whole housing appeared to be intact. Seemed to be an internal failure.

Will know more tomorrow.

-Hans

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 17th, 2007, 05:28 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

RDS sells the one without the bing bing bing wire for cheap. NAS is $$$.
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Got it apart, snapped apart inside the column lock portion, and I just don't have the tooling to make the new component and re-assemble it all. Looks like I need the whole assembly. What a pain in the ass to get it off the column too, had those security bolts that the heads snap off of, so I had to drill the bolts out. Fun Fun Fun!

Good news is that I have it all temporarily rigged up to drive until I get around to that. Horray.

-Hans

Old December 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok. Finally got my new lock assembly via slowboat shipping. Went in fine. Just want to confirm that I have the wiring on the back properly. Everything functions properly, but just being paranoid. For some reason the spot on the switch I am using as the input has two tabs on it, this seems odd to me and the old one didn't have any double-tabbed terminals on it.

Anybody have a chart that says which item goes to which numbered terminal on the back of the switch?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter, switch