Starter replacement mishap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2007, 11:48 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Starter replacement mishap

I read up on all the previous post concerning replacing my starter (94). Crap!!!! I went out and purchased the hex socket and had the bp blaster, but I still ended up stripping out the top bolt. I was lucky enough to get the bottom bolt out after using a propane torch to heat it (it was semi strip as well).

I ended up cutting off the top bolt head and was able to get it started out using vice grip, but then it locked up and would not budge. I have blasted it with bp and nothing. So, I decided to drill it out. All was going well when drill bid broke off inside the bolt. I am so screwd right now that I am besides myself. The only other option I see is dropping the tranny and getting to the back side of the bolt.

Any other suggestions???

How hard is it to remove and install tranny?

2 bolts that was all I was trying to remove and now I am deep into it. I just can't believe it. My plan now, unless someone has a brilliant idea, is to remove the tranny, drill bolt from back end and then extract or use a longer bolt with nut.

brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2007, 09:01 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Damn, big hassle. Lets see a pic. Have you used the vicegrips to just wiggle the bolt a bit? Some times going back and forth in the threads will get things started, then you can do more work with the PB blaster.
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:32 PM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

I will take a picture asap. But I have to get my other truck running now and pray that it will work.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, start, starter