Starter replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Starter replacement

It seems I have a bad solenoid b/c I've had to tap the starter every now and then to get the D90 to fire up. Unfortunately I on't have time to replace my starter right now so asked my local guy what it would run and he had this to say:

"Starter motor replacement is $570.48 out the door. That is a remanufactured Bosch starter which is OE equipment. Cheaper starter motors can be obtained from most auto parts stores, but my experience with them has been very negative. Either you don't get the right starter, the starter doesn't work
when you install it, or it fails within a few months. I use Bosch units with great success."

I love my local LR guy and use him on most stuff that is beyond me, but this is a starter.... If this is one of those things that I could have done at a regular shop at lower cost I think I'd go that route.

Thoughts on whether I really need to go with a remanufactured Bosch and whether I really need to go to someone who works on about a dozen local Defenders?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Breath View Post
It seems I have a bad solenoid b/c I've had to tap the starter every now and then to get the D90 to fire up. Unfortunately I on't have time to replace my starter right now so asked my local guy what it would run and he had this to say:

"Starter motor replacement is $570.48 out the door. That is a remanufactured Bosch starter which is OE equipment. Cheaper starter motors can be obtained from most auto parts stores, but my experience with them has been very negative. Either you don't get the right starter, the starter doesn't work
when you install it, or it fails within a few months. I use Bosch units with great success."

I love my local LR guy and use him on most stuff that is beyond me, but this is a starter.... If this is one of those things that I could have done at a regular shop at lower cost I think I'd go that route.

Thoughts on whether I really need to go with a remanufactured Bosch and whether I really need to go to someone who works on about a dozen local Defenders?
The cheap starters are $135-$150. While I have no idea what your guys labor rate is, if you have ever replaced a rover v8 starter it can go ok or it can go horribly. O2beatsea here on the site recently chronicled how he was able to get the lower bolt out but not the top and used a jack to bend the starter until it broke off so he could get better access to the top bolt. The bolts are allen headed and tend to strip out before reaching the torque that will break them loose if they weren't installed with antiseize (which the factory didn't do). I replace the bolts with regular hex headed bolts when I do one, operating from the assumption that I'll likely be the next person to put a wrench on them.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
You can sometimes more easily access the top bolt by removing a spark plug wire or two on that side of the engine and trying to tackle it from above. I went with Magnetti Marelli for mine and it's been great. Most starters won't hold up long being submerged in muddy sand etc. if you're offroading a bunch with it, but should otherwise be pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:51 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
I just replaced my starter with a remanufactured Bosch, and did the work myself. Now for the shocker: I paid $90.00 for mine exchange, in Southern California and it took me about an hour and a half to swap the starter. Keep in mind, I'm no mechanic but just a little handy like most on this board. It's a straight forward job in tight quarters, and I didn't have to remove a single spark plug either. Not trying to contradict rijosho, that was simply how I did mine on a 3.5L V8.

Now to the starter: I was simply googling starter rebuilders in my area and came across this shop that rebuilds all kind of electric parts with a bunch of positive reviews. I called and they had it on the shelf and gave me a 1 year warranty with it.
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
I just replaced my starter with a remanufactured Bosch, and did the work myself. Now for the shocker: I paid $90.00 for mine exchange, in Southern California and it took me about an hour and a half to swap the starter. Keep in mind, I'm no mechanic but just a little handy like most on this board. It's a straight forward job in tight quarters, and I didn't have to remove a single spark plug either. Not trying to contradict rijosho, that was simply how I did mine on a 3.5L V8.

Now to the starter: I was simply googling starter rebuilders in my area and came across this shop that rebuilds all kind of electric parts with a bunch of positive reviews. I called and they had it on the shelf and gave me a 1 year warranty with it.
Your truck is a bit easier being a carburated 3.5 with simple downpipe as opposed to the later catalytic converter fuel injected trucks.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 11th, 2014, 10:06 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

You need to clean the Allen screws VERY well. Get in there with a pick, brake cleaner, compressed air, etc. Use a QUALITY hex bit. Craftsman or better should be fine. Once the bit is in there tap it with a small hammer or whatever to "seat" it.
As mentioned, replace with a regular hex cap screw.
Old July 14th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Thanks -- the remanufactured Bosch is supposed to run me $350 and $190 in labor.
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:01 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Thanks -- the remanufactured Bosch is supposed to run me $350 and $190 in labor.
I would get under there and see if you can get the bolts loose first, if not then take it in. I think you're gonna kick yourself if you paid $190 in labor for something that can be done at home.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:07 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
That's the labor rate for them to remove and replace the two bolts of the starter?
Old July 14th, 2014, 02:51 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Why not get a lifetime warranty gear reduction starter and save $125 and have a better starter? Install it yourself and save another $190.

http://www.britishstarters.com/Land_Rover.html
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:13 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Why not get a lifetime warranty gear reduction starter and save $125 and have a better starter? Install it yourself and save another $190.

http://www.britishstarters.com/Land_Rover.html
Free Shipping to boot

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old July 14th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thats the suggested retail for a bosch reman but they typically sell for considerably less.
Here's a site that list many co's remans and their prices. You can save $100 right out of the gate and I'm thinking you can find a bosch quite a bit cheaper. Prices for remans start @ $89 and go up from there

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh...discovery.html

Dividing Creek Imports

Old July 14th, 2014, 03:31 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I'm a cheap bastard, my last two starters have cost me $65 total. I have 3 D1's and 2 spare starters. :D
Old July 14th, 2014, 04:13 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
I personally think it's insane to be paying $350 for a remanufactured starter, even if it's a Bosch. Like others have said on here, you can buy one for under $100 with a one year warranty, or spend a bit more and get Lifetime Warranty on one.
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:46 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i was recently looking at the starter on my favorite LWB IIRC i removed the starter with ease when it (engine) was out of the truck. I had no drama with hex bolts etc. I am somewhat regretful that I reused the original allen bolts having read this. If you keep the front driveshaft lubed the starter should have a plenty of grease on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, start, starter