starter removal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 13th, 2011, 11:36 AM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
starter removal

I thought I would pull the starter and clean it up have it tested and replace if necessary. I can see the lower bolt that is holding the starter in place, but can't seem to get to the upper bolt? I tried from the top and from the bottom and can't seem to even feel around and locate it. RAVE doesn't seem very helpful with the "remove starter motor" entry.

Just wondering if there is something I need to remove before I can get to this bolt or is there something I am missing?

thanks,
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Bill, read the following from a few weeks back.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31762

You can try unplugging the two spark plug leads in the middle passenger side and stick your hand through there and put the hex and 6" extension on the bolt. Then climb under the tuck and hook the ratchet to it and undo it that way.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:45 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
dude! you rock. My search-fu is weak.
Advertisement

Old July 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Eat your Wheaties before trying to remove the top one, as mine was pretty stuck.
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Turbofan
Ethan
'73 SIII/ D90 Hybrid

I'm a little late to the party but...
Once you have your hex bit and extension and ratchet wrench all set up, grab a pry bar and fit it through the manifold. You should be able to pry against the head ratchet wrench with enough force to keep the hex bit from slipping in the terribly placed bolt.

Should your starter bite the dust AND you can't get said bolt out, take the bottom (easily accessible) bolt out, and use a big chisel and a pry bar from the bottom. With a little grunt work (just think about how upset you are that the top one is stripped out!) you can crack the top ear off the starter and take the starter out. With it off the engine, you should be able to spin the top bolt out with a pair of vise-grips.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:37 AM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Thanks for the advice. I have tried a few times to get the 8mm in the top bolt with no luck getting it to seat in the hex top. I tried cleaning it out but still no luck. I haven't really had the time to play with it a lot but will give it all a try this weekend.

It is in a sort of bad location, but I had an old buick that the first step was 'remove the engine' to get the starter out so I am pretty happy. that thing took a lot of hammer blows over the years.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter