Starter question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 27th, 2010, 02:25 AM
rockstardave
Dave Dulansey
1995 D-90

Starter question

Hi All,

I've just read through most of the threads I could search with "starter," "starter replace." and "starter replacement."

Rewind to earlier tonight - after stopping by the office to pick up some wheel dollies that were delivered while I was away, my D90 wouldn't start when I got back outside. I figured that it was the starter, since it has sounded quite weak since I got'er a few months back. Luckily I wasn't stranded, because I keep a car at work (a bunch of people from the office do that have "too many cars" :-)

And just to be sure, I charged up the battery. Upon my return I hooked up the battery and...no crank, no clicks, just a hum.

So I will return tomorrow and hit it with a hammer a few times and hope I can get 'er home.

My questions are -

1. With 167K miles and a weak sounding crank, do you think it's time for a new starter?
2. I'm pretty handy, do you recommend I replace it myself?
3. Can you push-start (I have a clevis in the hitch receiver) a D-90 in reverse?

and lastly,

4. If it cranks after whacking the solenoid (keeping in mind question 1) should I replace it anyway?

Thanks all!!!

Charles I bet you're first to respond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

If it's a 5-speed you can roll start it. In a pinch probably in reverse, but I'd have it towed to a hill and roll start it going forward.
It doesn't take much of an incline if your ignition and fuel system are in good shape. I've done it at low as 1-2mph

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:25 PM
rockstardave
Dave Dulansey
1995 D-90

My wife towed me in her Honda Pilot for the jump-start!!!! Her first time doing anything in the SUV that didn't involve shopping.

The D90 fired right up. After I parked her at home and tried to crank the engine - nuttin' - so I'll be ordering a starter. Is the Mean Green Machine the way to go? Looks like there have been wiring confusion in previous threads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2010, 09:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Genuine is better than Mean Green IMHO. Make sure it is the starter, not the solenoid.
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM
rockstardave
Dave Dulansey
1995 D-90

OK so I'm taking it to Loudoun Rover http://www.loudounrover.com and they are going to put it in. After just trying to hit it with a mallet (which didn't do the trick) I think it's a bit inaccessible for my limited time and experience. I'd hate to mess something up!!

$150 genuine part
$175 labor

Anybody have any stories about Loudoun Rover?

Thanks!

D
Old June 29th, 2010, 10:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sorry I have been on vacation

Wally is a good guy and should take care of you. But like Ron, I suspect it is just the solenoid or loose wires or bad ground, not the starter itself.

BTW, it's not that hard to replace.

hth
charles
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:21 AM
rockstardave
Dave Dulansey
1995 D-90

Charles when I was underneath the truck last night it looked OK (to my newbie eyes at least) as far as wiring but I couldn't see everything clearly with the heatshield in the way. Even if it's just the solenoid that's bad, the cranking has sounded so weak since I got the truck that I figure it's better to replace it all out.

I feel a little lame for not tackling it myself but time is precious especially with a soon-to-be three year old who loves to put on a pirate hat and sword fight every minute daddy is home.

Hope you had a good vacation!
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Starters are easy to replace. Generally 2 easily accessible bolts hold it on, and then the heavy gauge cable coming from the battery to the starter solenoid. It's really, really hard to F' up IMO.

When the starter solenoid gets stuck, sometimes it takes a few wacks to free it, not just one. The solenoid gear that engages with the flywheel can also get "caught", in which case it might take 1) a few cycles of the ignition switch, 2) a few blows from hammer or 3) a slight turn of the flywheel. for # 3, if you could get the vehicle to move just a little with the engine engaged with the tranny, that could move the flywheel just enough to free the jam, and then the solenoid gear could reengage.

I would try all those things before replacing the starter. My prime suspicion though, is that after that many miles, you may have a corroded connection between the starter positive battery cable and the solenoid, and the resistence is preventing sufficient juice to engage the solenoid.

The starter is so easy to replace, I would put that right there with changing the air filter..almost. I don't think the starter would need to be replaced, unless you have confirmed good electrical contact, and it still becomes a repeat offender.

Good luck.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:25 AM
rockstardave
Dave Dulansey
1995 D-90

OK you guys convinced me :-) I'll get one at Advance Auto and install this weekend!
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Oh thought you had replaced it already. I suggest disconnecting the battery terminals, then disconnecting the terminals on the starter and clean then thoroughly, then re-connect making sure the connections are tight before buying a replacement. I'd even go as far as pulling it and bench testing it before replacing it (advance can test it too).
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:56 AM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Sorry I have been on vacation

Wally is a good guy and should take care of you. But like Ron, I suspect it is just the solenoid or loose wires or bad ground, not the starter itself.

BTW, it's not that hard to replace.

hth
charles
As an aside, if you somehow end up going to Wally (who i agree is a good guy), I suggest that you request an itemized estimate. He used to give me an aggregate parts/labor number, which drove me nuts and generated an uneasy feeling. He may have changed his ways since December.
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Don't buy electrical parts from advanced auto. They suck. Buy genuine or do it again later.
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I'm not sure its an issue with the starters, but definitely don't get their alternators. I'd go genuine to be safe - but check yours first!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter