Starter Problems...Yikes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2005, 01:08 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Starter Problems...Yikes

I have been having some problems starting my truck over the past couple of days. The truck just won't turn over. The batteries are okay. I tried to start the truck a few days ago and it sounded like the alternator belt was loose...it let out a pretty shrill whistle as it revved up. I managed to get it started tonight, but had to start the truck in gear. In addition, the truck just quit on me the other day as I pulled up to a stop light.

Any ideas...or suggestions...as always...are greatly appreciated! I had the alternator (and belts) replaced last year (by Larry at Four Oaks in Los Angeles).

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshea
. I tried to start the truck a few days ago and it sounded like the alternator belt was loose...it let out a pretty shrill whistle as it revved up.

In addition, the truck just quit on me the other day as I pulled up to a stop light.
Well, is the belt tight? (don't mean to sound mean) Also you might want to have the alternator tested.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:25 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Hey Tim,

No harm...I am pretty sure it's the belt...judging by the sound of it. However, I had the alternator replaced about a year ago...have only put about 5,000 miles on it. I am having some other work done to the truck over the weekend...will have them look at it. Unfortunately, I am not one of those guys that does most of the work on my own vehicle. I would love to learn more about it...hard to find the time. However, after sinking sooooo much $$$ into this particular 90 (my 3rd) it's about time I learned a few things.

I bought this truck as a project vehicle from a S.O.B. in New Hampshire...he severely neglected the truck. I have slowly been trying to bring her back to her former glory.

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Hi Brian,

I bought my truck from an SOB in Atlanta that severely misrepresented the thing. In all good conscience I couldn't sell it as-was (it was so screwed up - last time I buy something from pictures and a local friend's "inspection" of a vehicle), so I've been fixing things as I've gone along. It's getting close to normal now.

I've had a starter problem or two. Here are a couple of things I've found while fixing stuff:

1) had a bad starter relay - this is right next to the fuse panel.
2) the solenoid heat shield was moved around and not protecting the solenoid from heat off the exhaust - adjusted that. I was having trouble getting it to turn over when hot.
3) The prior redneck owner had some funky anti-theft device installed, which consisted of speaker wire interrupting the solenoid circuit which was cut & crimped together. This wire ran under the dash and to some anti-theft system which had been removed, and the wires were wire-nutted together. The wire nut fell off, and the wires came apart, stranding me (got a push-start). I removed this.. "circuit".. and soldered the wire back together where it had been crimped. What a stupid anti-theft setup "oooooh, on a stick shift car, I'll disable the starter". Geesh.

My truck had been majorly red-necked and slowly, over time and at much expense I'm making it 'right'.

PS is yours the red one I see around Mahattan Beach now and then? At one point I thought I heard you mention you were in South Bay.
Old September 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
mountaintek
Tom Pritchard
1997 90

Redneck

What is the difference between rednecking a car up or micking it up or jewing it up or pollacking it up
or japping it up.
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintek
What is the difference between rednecking a car up or micking it up or jewing it up or pollacking it up
or japping it up.
Wow...don't think that Jason was trying to incite anyone. I take it...you don't watch Bill Maher? How does your post add ANY VALUE WHATSOEVER to the initial question that was posted.

Go flame somewhere else...

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
Hi Brian,

I bought my truck from an SOB in Atlanta that severely misrepresented the thing. In all good conscience I couldn't sell it as-was (it was so screwed up - last time I buy something from pictures and a local friend's "inspection" of a vehicle), so I've been fixing things as I've gone along. It's getting close to normal now.

I've had a starter problem or two. Here are a couple of things I've found while fixing stuff:

1) had a bad starter relay - this is right next to the fuse panel.
2) the solenoid heat shield was moved around and not protecting the solenoid from heat off the exhaust - adjusted that. I was having trouble getting it to turn over when hot.
3) The prior redneck owner had some funky anti-theft device installed, which consisted of speaker wire interrupting the solenoid circuit which was cut & crimped together. This wire ran under the dash and to some anti-theft system which had been removed, and the wires were wire-nutted together. The wire nut fell off, and the wires came apart, stranding me (got a push-start). I removed this.. "circuit".. and soldered the wire back together where it had been crimped. What a stupid anti-theft setup "oooooh, on a stick shift car, I'll disable the starter". Geesh.

My truck had been majorly red-necked and slowly, over time and at much expense I'm making it 'right'.

PS is yours the red one I see around Mahattan Beach now and then? At one point I thought I heard you mention you were in South Bay.
I had almost exactly the same thing happen when I purchased my truck...except when they dropped of the flatbed...it wouldn't even start. The buyer completely misrepresented the vehicle to me...in every way possible. So much so...that I almost caught a flight the next day to Manchester NH to go personally beat the living sh*t out of him. I had just sold my Conniston green 95 ST to a guy in Virginia and went through tremendous pains to make my truck "perfect" for him. I wanted him to be as happy as I was with the truck on the day that I bought it. The 90 community is pretty small...you never know what could come back to haunt you. That said...I am also ethically against misrepresenting something to a buyer. Let's say he took his family for a ride and the brakes didn't work. I would have felt horrible!

My truck (95 Java Black ST) sat in some dipsh*ts front yard and collected rust. Rats had been living inside the battery compartment and it was absolutely filthy. Definitely nowhere near the professionally detailed truck I had just sold. In addition, he did some really stupid thing with the ignition wires. The truck would not start unless the left turn signal was on...and when it did run the engine kept racing. It was unsafe to drive. I have (so far) put about $10,000 into the vehicle...it needed everything. I too will never purchase another vehicle online again...without seeing it first. I did have the vehicle inspected...or so he said the vehicle was inspected. I have purchased vehicles online before (2 Defenders and a Discovery II) and never had any problems. I definitely learned my lesson.

Oh yeah...and my guy was a redneck. He put caution tape all over the front and rear bumpers, there were deer whistles everwhere, left his gunclub membership card under the visor, hung the hella lights rightside up on the A-bar, and just completely junked up the vehicle in every way imaginable. The only thing missing were pictures of him and his sister in compromising positions. It wouldn't have shocked me if he did.

I have been dividing my time between L.A. and Denver lately. There are quite a few 90s down in South Bay and a few up in Malibu. You may have seen my cruising down Main Street or parked on PCH at Sunset...my favorite surf spot...ha.

Thanks for the post...catch you later.

Brian

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems, start, starter