Starter problem: cranks then spins - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 13th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

Starter problem: cranks then spins

So all of a sudden the starter on my 1989 110 (2.5td/200tdi starter) has began giving me problems. It will crank the motor for about a second then seems to retract and just spin. I just tested it at auto parts store, and all passed except amp draw. It was drawing 138. Not sure if it failed because it is t in the system or if something is actually wrong with it.

Think this is a grounding problem, or should I just purchase a new starter? Other threads have listed just spinning, or just clicking, but none where it starts to crank then just spins.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:06 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Any grinding noise?

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Mine cranks the truck and will remain spinning for about 45 seconds......after the first time this won't happen again.

I am pretty sure it's my starter solenoid or the ignition switch itself. They are pretty inexpensive so I am in the process of replacing both.

My truck is a Series, but I suppose similar principals apply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

No grinding noise. Attempts to start just like normal, but then just spins like the bendix has retracted. Stops as soon a I turn key off.
Old January 13th, 2015, 10:27 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-7 View Post
No grinding noise. Attempts to start just like normal, but then just spins like the bendix has retracted. Stops as soon a I turn key off.
Sounds like the contacts in the solenoid that force the lever to engage the pinion are worn out.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old January 13th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

If it stops with the key off, then the ignition switch works........mine does not.

My vote is solenoid.
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:28 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Will:
If a starter continues to spin with the key switched off, this can indicate poor grounding.
To test clamp a jumper cable or pair of jumper cabled from the neg battery terminals directly to the engine and then start the engine.
See if this temporarily provides a solution.
If so, then you can impose a permanent fix.

Old January 13th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sure hope the flywheel hasn't lost some teeth.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 13th, 2015, 11:50 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Sure hope the flywheel hasn't lost some teeth.
I'm with you there...
That's why I asked about the grinding.
If the pinion is retracting, then there is a good chance the teeth are OK.

Old January 13th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Jaded-7
Harrison
None

No, not the flywheel, cause it is not an intermittent thing. Unless like every 3rd tooth on the flywheel decided to all come off at once! lol

My guess is the amp draw is the culprit, whether it be dirty, or gunked up, or something, it's not getting the amps it needs. might even be the cable from the solenoid to the starter.

looks like i'm going for a new one!

Thanks y'all!
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Contractor
Will
1969 IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Will:
If a starter continues to spin with the key switched off, this can indicate poor grounding.
To test clamp a jumper cable or pair of jumper cabled from the neg battery terminals directly to the engine and then start the engine.
See if this temporarily provides a solution.
If so, then you can impose a permanent fix.
That is a good thought, I will try that.

I have already replaced the solenoid, but got distracted on several other items that needed attention and have actually not tried it again. I was going to rule that out before I replaced the ignition switch too. I'll make sure to check the grounding as well.

Thanks Robert.
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is the bendix sticking. The earlier starters use a centrifugal bendix, not one engaged by the solenoid. When it gets cold they get sticky and won't stay engaged. Take it out, clean it and lube it with some good light synthetic oil.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:07 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
It is the bendix sticking. The earlier starters use a centrifugal bendix, not one engaged by the solenoid. When it gets cold they get sticky and won't stay engaged. Take it out, clean it and lube it with some good light synthetic oil.
Excellent advise, John.

If the starter is continuing to run once the key is switched off and the jumper cables supplying engine ground solves that issue then it is obviously grounding.
If the starter spins when you want it to, but doesn't engauge, then follow John's advice as well.
If neither the grounding helps or the pinion assembly lube, then the solenoid is sticking closed which is unlikely cause you just replaced it.
There is also the rare case that the + battery cable is breaking connection with a fault or the starter armature winding is bad, but these would both be rare.
If a brush is sticking because they are worn down low the armature commutator is worn out, I guess it could spin a little longer, but this is an unlikely stretch as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter