Starter problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 7th, 2013, 01:58 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Starter problem

My wife called before she went to bed to inform me the engine won't start. Apparently the starter 'grinds' but does not engage to turn the engine.

She will check battery voltage in the morning.

So, what are the common causes and fixes for a 2.5D N/A when the starter won't fully engage?

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Damn, sorry to hear this. Probably engine heat over long distances has cooked it pretty good. She can try smacking it with a heavy hammer real good. That sometimes provides a temp fix so she can limp to a shop/home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:24 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
To get her on the road (assuming she's brought a tow strap) she can ask someone with a Jeep or something to pull her 15 feet while she lets out the clutch in gear to get it jump started. When she says it grinds, does it just go "tick-tick-tick-tick" - she should first check the connections, wire brush any corrosion at the contacts, hit the thing with something heavy (and with some force) while someone turns the key (in neutral of course), and potentially try to source a new starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 7th, 2013, 07:43 AM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
First, I did not mention it but this problem developed when parked at her sister's house so she is not stranded.

Second, now that the sun is up, my B-I-L crawled under and found that one of the starter mounting bolts is missing and the other bolt is about to fall out. They will take the remaining bolt to find a match and reinstall.

I like simple, inexpensive solutions!

Mike
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:34 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
excellent. thanks for the update.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
starter