Starter, or Ignition Problem????? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Starter, or Ignition Problem?????

Hello all. I need some help possibly. I have a 95 st and I have been noticing something odd. For the past couple of months I have turned the key and the truck turns but immediately dies. About a week ago I went to start it and it would turn but died immediately. I noticed if I kept the key in the ignition turned slightly it would stay running. Took the wife and kids to the pool and upon turning off the truck I noticed the key swiveling in the ignition. I got a tow home tore down the ignition and noticed a small white plastic cylinder that had come loose. I basically stuck it back together with my fingers and my wife started the truck right up.....until last night. The way I had rigged it though the spring thing which snaps the key back to the on position was missing. I had to manually turn the key back to the on position after starting. I turned the key last night and it lights and such came on but it would not start. How hard is it to replace the plastic piece to the ignition or am I looking at a whole new ignition?

Thanks
Rick Mabus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2008, 01:18 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

No News is Good News?????

I looked around and it appears that my friends at Atlantic British are going to help me spend $39 and some of my time fixing this ignition issue, which could be way worse.

Here is my question. I will be getting this round small cylinoid from British Atlantic and as soon as it arives I will be needing to plug it in. That being said anyone know how far into tearing up the dashboard I need to go before I can attach that cyliniod successfully?

Thanks
Old July 14th, 2008, 02:06 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Take the steering wheel off, (big nut under center cover) then there are screws holding the top and bottom steering column casings on, remove these to get the casing off. To get the ign/key lock/ switch out you have to remove (drill out) the anti theft bolts that hold the thing to the column, and then once its on the bench, swap in the cylinder thing (switch body).. If I recall correctly the cylinder is held by bent over tabs or some other flimsy method, you might want to bolster that setup in some way with the new parts when you have it out to save you future issues. replace the antitheft bolts with normal ones, or I guess you could order new antitheft bolts from RN..

not too bad, two three hours maybe..

~Steve

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter