Starter issues on my D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Rover- Girl

Arrow Starter issues on my D90

Hi 2 all...
I am new here and hope 2 make LOTS of friends who don't drive station wagons
or mini vans
I bought a 1994 defender which is my dream vehicle of choice !!
I had this puppy for 4 month now and absolutly love it
I recently took this sucker off road...and i mean...OFF ROAD.
I had a blast passing all these " shiny clean JEEPS and H2...w/there blush intereor
CD players and 4x coats of wax on there trucks on my way back home. LOL
Anyway, the next day, It would not start up.
I recently had a new batterie put in, had it serviced and so on....
luckely 4 me a friend was near by who came over and identified the proplem
right away.
He craweld under the truck and requested a hammer...gently taped on the starter
and replied." try it now "...it started w/ out hesitation
He told me that I probably got funk, dirt & whatever in the starter and it just needet to be
"freed up"...I know that sounds like a bunch of %^#...but it worked !!??
I have not had a nother faild start since..
sorry 2 say...nor have I DARED 2 take it back in the mud or anywere off road
My question 2 you mud maniacs is..LOL
...will this happen everytime I go off road !!??
...should i get a new starter!!??
...should I bring a Hammer...!!??
...or buy the new state of the art " sealed starter " if there is such a thing !!??
How could this happen , I thought defenders are on of the most "rugged trucks" there is..
was this a once in a million event...any help on shedding light on this
would be greatly appreciated
PS sorry 4 the lousy spelling, I am German
XOXO Rover- Girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

First off welcome aboard!

Sounds like the starter may be on its way out. I have seen a few stock starters take a dunk in mud and work fine afterwards, but I killed my stock starter after 1 to many water crossings. You may get by just fine with that starter and a hammer, on the trail I have used sticks and rocks where hammers were not available to hit with. But if you want the "ultimate" starter you could get a Mean Green Starter, thatís what I did, and for over a year it has been working great, and anyone here will tell you my truck see's a little water and mud from time to time. The only problem with Mean Green is their customer service sucks; there are not too many retailers out there anymore that carry their products, but you should be able to order from them directly, they cost around $300.

And donít be afraid to take it off road, mud has some bad effects on mechanical things, but youíll learn how to deal with them in time. And youíll see like anything else Defenders have their fair share of problems, just read a few of the posts here to get an idea. The best things you can do is to buy some tools (or make friends with a good mechanic) and get a repair manual like the one Rovers North sells, or one of the CD manuals off E-bay.

PS Station Wagon (SW for short) is the term we all use to describe a Hard top Defender, ST for soft top, so maybe you will make some friends with Station Wagons.
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

I have had the Mean Green Starter in my D90 for over 5 years now and it works like the day I put it in. I went through two stock starters before I finally got wise to MGS. I've never had the cause to call their support line, so I can't comment on that part.

One thing I really like about it is when you are on the trail it works great for starting your D90 while in gear. If you're going through a tight section and kill the engine , just start it without putting in the clutch. It's output is a gear reduction so plenty of torque.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

It is not very common, but sometimes a starter does get stuck and tapping it with a hammer or something heavy will free it up. I wouldn't worry, YET. If it happens again, then I would take the starter out and look for anything that might be binding it up. You might have a local starter/alternator shop that can take a closer look at the starter and suggest what to do. I don't suggest the dealership, they charge much more for parts and labor than a regular mechanic will.

Land Rovers are very tough vehicles, but nothing is unbreakable. They still need occasional repair, and have strong and weak points like any other 4x4 does. I do suggest carrying tools with you any time you go off-roading, just in case. The better prepared you are, the easier it will be to solve any problems that come up. If you off-road a lot, it would definitely help to become familiar with how the vehicle works and how to work on it. And always make sure yours is not the only truck, walking home to get somebody with a towstrap is very annoying..... trust me.

If you ever have any problems, we're here to help. There are many good people on this board, and a lot of good information. Welcome!

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 20th, 2005, 03:39 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I personaly am very leery of Mean Green. I had a starter that was on my truck for 2 months with quite a bit of mater and mud and it died on me. Mean Green wouldn't refund my money and dropped the ball when they forgot to ship a replacement out. I've had decent luck with the stock starter. Plus any good shop can repair them.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 8th, 2010, 04:33 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

i have any issue with my starter (I think) and this is the closest thread i could find on the subject. 1 out of 20 or so starts, my starter sticks. at least I think it is my starter. i turn the key and it sits there and cranks on its own after its running. I turn the key back off and it still sits there and cranks with the key out of the ignition. I have to play with the key, turning it on and off a few times to get the problem to stop. I then try it again and everything runs fine. Starter problems? ignition problems? I haven't diagnosed too much of this. Thought maybe I would find something online and couldn't find anything in my manual.
Old February 8th, 2010, 04:59 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Maybe the ignition switch? I've just replaced my second one in about 12 months... This past replacement was because the switch lost its spring and wouldn't shut the starter off after the truck started.

Just an idea anyway...
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sounds more like an ingnition issue to me...

Old February 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the ignitions are cheap, same as jaguar and others used back in the 60s and 70s so try that first
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:57 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Welcome! Are you sure it was the starter? Did you turn the key and get a click and nothing? And did you go through any deep water or mud while wheeling? I have gone through about 6 starters and this is the sole fact that I do a lot of water, sand and mud driving. Starters don't like that.

I would buy a new starter just incase and bring a hammer with you too.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:56 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Hey Daniel,

Rover-girl posted that back in 2005. I know, I was getting excited about ANOTHER German Rover chick. We are not that lucky. I think Sandy is really Rover-Girl after she traded the 90 for her new PUMA.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

haha, I should have read the post date! I saw everyone responding to her "no start" but were actually responding to Ryan's problem and since he is a dude then no need to help!

Ryan, I had this problem before, I had to kill the battery to make the starter stop. It wasn't my ignition though you can check it. For me it was the small brown wire that feeds to the solenoid on the starter. It got burnt from the exhaust and was shorting out on the exhaust shield. This also lead to the big fuse being blow. That fuse is like a 30amp or 60amp? I can't remember, but its in the engine bay next to the bulkhead.

Crawl under the truck and see if you see a wire shorting out on some metal. Then check the fuse.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM
j0nny216
Jon Kleppel
1994 D90

I had a very similiar problem and ended up burning up the starter. My ignition module was falling apart and the starter just kept on engaging. I ended up having to replace both, but I no longer have the problem!
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
haha, I should have read the post date! I saw everyone responding to her "no start" but were actually responding to Ryan's problem and since he is a dude then no need to help!

Ryan, I had this problem before, I had to kill the battery to make the starter stop. It wasn't my ignition though you can check it. For me it was the small brown wire that feeds to the solenoid on the starter. It got burnt from the exhaust and was shorting out on the exhaust shield. This also lead to the big fuse being blow. That fuse is like a 30amp or 60amp? I can't remember, but its in the engine bay next to the bulkhead.

Crawl under the truck and see if you see a wire shorting out on some metal. Then check the fuse.
thats funny, the only reason I posted in here was to try to meet the rover girl. it sounded like a good idea at the time. but I do have starter issues and I have blown that fuse before. a couple weeks ago. I just climbing underneath there, that small brown wire looks fine. I will try to take a closer look at it tomorrow. Meanwhile, I ordered the electrical part for the ignition. $30. it was recommended atlantic british.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, start, starter