Starter Issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 5th, 2010, 10:30 PM
94 D90 ST
Starter Issue

Weird issue today. 90 has been driving great for a long time then today had some issue trying to start it up. The car would not crank at all. Relays were clicking, I could hear the fuel pump, all dash lights came on, but when I turned the key I would hear almost a clunking sound from the starter then nothing. It wasnt until I just repeatedly turned the key and kinda jingled it a little that the car started right up.

Any thoughts? New starter or maybe just the connections to the starter? What is the clunking sound coming from the starter when it won't start?

Old May 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
My guess would be that there is a dead spot in the winding of the starter--every electric engine has one but it can be rare that the starter is ever in that position. Sounds like you were. I bet you heard the starter solinoid eject the gear to the flywheel but the motor was on the dead spot so would not turn until things wiggled just a little. If it does not happen again, that was it almost certainly.

If it does happen again, then it is probably the main winding in the starter. Again, you hear the shaft popping out as the clunk...

Old May 6th, 2010, 08:59 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384
Keep a "Ford Wrench" in your truck... I used to carry an aluminum baseball bat when I had a bronco for dual purpose... If it does happen again, give the starter a whack. You can do that for a while while your new starter gets in and your patience is used up.
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Tom Rowe
I would check all your starter related connections.
Both ends of:
battery cable to solenoid lug
jumper from solenoid to starter motor
starter ground
chassis to battery

In addition to a dead spot on the winding, dodgy connections can cause intermittent cranking issues.
Tom Rowe
Atlanta, GA

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

start, starter