Starter cable(s) routing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:46 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Starter cable(s) routing

This sounds like a stupid question, but could someone describe the path the cables take to the starter, or show me a picture of how their's is routed?

I have had my transmission out for several weeks now and can't recall how they route, and none of the ways I try looks correct (to me).

I have two cables inside a heat/fire sleeve that come from the drivers side firewall, one longer than the other by 6-8 inches. I assume one goes to the starter and the other to the cross member, both of which are still off on my rig. Does it just go under the engine in the gap between the bell housing and the oil sump?

thanks
charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2006, 10:57 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Anyone?

Could someone take a quick peek under their defender and tell me how their's is routed?

On mine, I have one coming directly from the battery positive terminal and appears to route ok to the starter if I go over the bell housing.

I then have a second cable that comes from the fuse block next to the MAF setup (routed through the same sleeve) that isn't long enough to reach the frame, and the hole in the tab on the end isn't big enough for the bell housing bolts.

Any idea where this grounds to?

thanks
charles
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Charles I'll take a look and call ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

If you still need, I can try and look tonight for ya; conversely you're welcome to come by and have a look at it yourself.
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Gimmie a few and I'll let you know where I stand. I ended up hooking both up to the starter based on my maual's wiring diagrams (I didn't pull the starter and like I said I have a crap memory so don't recall from previously pulling the starter). I finally got everything back together and the battery seems a bit flat so I am trickle charging it right now. Hopefully I won't need further help (nothing exploded when I tried to start it) but will call one of you if I do.

Thanks guys

charles
Old September 5th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I actually had a second wire from the alternator to the starter--maybe some secondary thingy? I am pretty sure I removed it since I did not see the point for this redundency. Been removed for a few years, now.
Old September 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Looks like I had it right. My truck sure seems to have a wiring gremlin though - not sure if you recall the issues I had before Mike, but had the same thing today. Not even sure what fixed it (or if it's completely fixed) but got her running after some futzing. I need to fix a transmission cooler line leak and shorten my Y-pipe by about 3 inches and I should be wheeling again!

Thanks for the offers of help though.

charles
p.s. Anyone seen CVC lately?
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

lol, yes Charles I do remember! You and Ken need to get together and compare, I am not sure who has the crazier wiring!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starter