starter bolts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Jon Strong
starter bolts

My starter went out on friday night, and saturday I began the process of replacing. Well, after a few hours saturday we could only get the bottom bolt loose. I searched the board before we started to get some "insight" on the project. The posts I found listed the size of the bolts as an 8 mm hex key. Used with a 3/8 ratchet and extension. The top bolt was so tight, I actually rounded off the 8mm hex key major PITA. Soaked it with PB blaster all nite, got a new 8 mm hex key, and broke the top bolt loose the next day.

Well, turns out these bolts are actually 5/16". The 8mm will do it, but I believe it is just .001 smaller, and when there really stuck this could make for a rounded off bolt. The threads are SAE also.

Just wanted to post this for anyone who may replace a starter in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

bolts, start, starter