Starter bolt secrets? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Devin W
Devin Walton
None

Starter bolt secrets?

Am I missing something obvious here? Aside from just being a PITA to get to, I'm finding that I can't get the top bolt for the starter loose -- the bottom came out with a reasonable amount of effort. I soaked it overnight w/PB blaster after my first failed attempt at removing it and it still won't budge. It's hard to get much leverage due to the tight clearances under the car, not to mention that it's a hex fitting. If it's just stuck then I'll try again in a few hours (I just soaked it again), but I thought I'd post just in case I'm missing something that I should know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Nope.

As you pointed out its a real PITA to get out.

I always remove the top bolt from the hood rather than from under the D90, i.e. remove the heat shield then try either a small extention or a u-joint to provide extra leverage.

If you have A/C you can gently manuver the hoses, but not too much as you might loosen the couplings.

EDIT

I forgot to mention that my experiance is with a 95 D90. I doubt there's a difference b/w the starter position on an R380 and a LT77, but you never know.
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin W
Am I missing something obvious here? Aside from just being a PITA to get to, I'm finding that I can't get the top bolt for the starter loose -- the bottom came out with a reasonable amount of effort.
Yeah, they suck to get out. I broke all my 8mm hex wrenches in half trying to get the starter out of my old RRC (3.9l). Finally gave up and bought a 8mm hex in a 3/8" drive socket and had them out in no time.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Devin W
Devin Walton
None

I pulled out the heat shield (I was avoiding it before because of they're looking so rusty, but they came out easily) and accessed the bolt from the top. After another few hours of soaking and using my fairly new hex socket head with a breaker (non-ratcheting) I was able to put maximum force into it and only managed to f-up the bolt head...the thing hasn't budged. I have to imagine that the exhaust manifold has to be removed to get that bolt out now. Oh well, no more time to dick w/it today.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:21 PM
mffoster
Mike Foster
94 D90, 2007 Supercharged RR

I had a 93 Range Rover with the same engine and the same problem - the upper socket head cap screw refused to budge even with correct tools. My eventual solution was to buy a Dremel kit that came with a flexible shaft. You can use the Dremel to cut the head off the cap screw, which gets the starter off. In my case, the remaining "stud" came out easily once the starter was out and the tension was released. When I installed the new starter I used high strength regular bolts, and I seem to recall that they were a standard instead of metric thread. Also, I remember removing the exhaust manifold to get at the thing, but that was when I was heating the screw with a torch and trying other things before it was so messed up that I had to cut off the head. You may be able to use the flexible shaft Dremel without removing the manifold.

Good Luck!

Mike F

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecr, start, starter