Start up of 130 300tdi after 3 years - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 18th, 2015, 09:54 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Here's what BP has to say about long term storage of diesel.
http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-cou...age-diesel.pdf

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
Here's what BP has to say about long term storage of diesel.
http://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-cou...age-diesel.pdf
That mostly relates to atmospheric storage tanks with direct venting and is also out of date. Storage in a closed vehicle fuel tank is a much better environment as there is little oxygen present. In addition, modern fuel is nearly 100% hydrotreated, which ensures that it is fully stabilized. This makes a big difference compared to 2005.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 19th, 2015, 01:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Last summer I charged the battery on my tdi D90 which had been sitting in my FIL's machine shed for 4 years, turned the key, and started driving it around. I changed the oil, burned through a couple tanks of fuel driving around, and put it back in the shed. Didn't even have to change the fuel filter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 19th, 2015, 04:15 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
That mostly relates to atmospheric storage tanks with direct venting and is also out of date. Storage in a closed vehicle fuel tank is a much better environment as there is little oxygen present. In addition, modern fuel is nearly 100% hydrotreated, which ensures that it is fully stabilized. This makes a big difference compared to 2005.
Uh.........hydro treating is for desulfurization, not stabilization, right
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:13 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
No need to change fuel or filter. Fuel does not go bad. Just drive. Change the fuel filter and engine oil after you run through a full tank. I would then also change all fluids, gearboxes, axles, brakes, clutch, coolant, power steering as you have no idea the history and the timing belt. But drive it first for a good tank to flush things out.
Don't follow this logic. I would think it makes sense to at least add an additive to the fuel tank and check all other fluid levels before running it.

Old August 30th, 2015, 02:23 PM
thule_66
Robin
Defender 130 300tdi 1998

Guys! It was perfect! Due to both lack of time and space did I just change the battery and turned the key, it jumped right to it, running like a charm!

I drove for 20min and changed the oil and filter. Drove it home for 200km.

It's many things on my repair list before I can start to use it.

1. It's klonking and banging when I released the clutch and when I'm driving. Thought it was the UJ in the proper shaft but it seems to be in the rear diff?

2.enoying ticking from engine, stops when I press down the clutch, I think it's the brake vacuum pump.

3. Front wheel bearings and swivel joint

4. The engine still runs when I turn off the key.

6. Rear crossmember

7. Rust in the floors and doors

8. Damaged front fender.

Any ideas on nr 1?

Thank you!
Old August 30th, 2015, 03:59 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

# 1 and 2 I would check the throw out bearing
Old August 30th, 2015, 04:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My clutch was stuck to my flywheel and it took some pumping to reinvigorate the hydraulics. I don't know if some fluid weeped out or what but the action on the clutch wasn't good for a few miles.

Old August 31st, 2015, 02:33 AM
thule_66
Robin
Defender 130 300tdi 1998

Clutch is working perfect, it's when I shifting gears or do heavy throttling.

Could it be the rear frame A-bolt?
Old August 31st, 2015, 12:32 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Or one of the upper rear shock mounts

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
130, 300tdi, start, tdi