start stall no crank, runs like a top - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2006, 07:22 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
start stall no crank, runs like a top

lets see. went out to the rover this am started it up fine idled fine I put the covers on my hellas got back in tried to head out in 2nd gear, didnt wanna change many gears since I was drinking coffee anyways I stalled it out when I tried to start it wouldnt do get going, everthing sounded fine fuel pump starter would turn over fine but just would go. It wheezed then coughed one time some black smoke and I just said dam and drove another car to work, a few hours later I call the lil lady and told her to drive it today, it started right up and runs like normal? is it possible I just flooded it? I didnt think you could flood a fuel injected
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2006, 10:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
come on folks i know someone has an idea. 52xxx miles stocker ignition I dont know how many miles are on it the 30k service was done so i assume all of that was taken care of then. just replace the fuel filter. otherwise it runs perfect
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well first off common forum rule is to wait 24 hours before bumping your thread.

But to answer the question, you flooded the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2006, 01:25 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

That happens to my V8 sometimes and I don't think it is flooding because it will sometimes start with generous pedel after it dies... I would love some others input on this one too.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Yes, it was flooded. Wait a bit (3-5 minutes), floor it, and it will start unless you have other issues.
Old March 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
That happens to my V8 sometimes and I don't think it is flooding because it will sometimes start with generous pedal after it dies... I would love some others input on this one too.
When you floor a fuel injected system on start up you don't dump extra gas in the engine, you really are only giving it more air. So if it is flooded then you are providing enough air to mix with the extra fuel in it. It doesn't always work, as there may be too much fuel to get any spark.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start