Standard vs. Metric Brake Line? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Standard vs. Metric Brake Line?

Refresher: I'm replacing the short line between the flex line and the caliper on the front passenger side brakes. It has a bubble flare on one side, and an inverted flare on the other. I have both fittings.

Need some clarification on the brake line/pipe - What makes a brake line metric? The tube? The Flaring? or just the fitting?

Long story, but my friend's flaring kit's 3/16 adapter for inverted flares is missing, but he has some standard brake line with and inverted flare on one end, and the tool to make a bubble flare on the other.

Before we did this, I wanted to make sure that the 3/16 line and the inverted flare are universal as long as I use my metric fittings.

Hope that's a clear question

Thanks,

Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 17th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
3/16" works perfectly. I just redid my entire truck in 3/16" with metric fittings and so far no leaks or issues. Just make sure you make the proper double inverted flare - which you need that 3/16" adapter to make properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:23 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Sweet. Thanks for the validation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2010, 03:11 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Even though I live in the US I have to say in my opinion the thread title wrong - it's "standard or Imperial units". Metric is pretty universal outside this country for some silly reason. Where do I have to go to sign the metric petition?

I have recently gone through the annoying quest for metric fittings... surprising, considering the number of Asian and European cars here (and the fact so many US car parts are shipped metric) maybe the auto parts stores would carry a few more metric fasteners.... sigh...
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So true! When I did my truck I drove all over town looking for fittings. I ended up having to use a few adapters just to make thinks work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

There are two issues.
Rigid brake lines - 4.75mm is the stock size.
3/16" is fine. For our purposes it's the same size. 4.75mm=0.1870" -- 3/16=0.1875"

Brake line fittings - Yes, you need metric.

If you can't get them locally, I've heard nothing but good things about Fedhill for fittings.
For people who also own series Rovers, they have the British thread fittings for them as well.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:28 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Sorry - wasn't trying to create an international incident

I just wanted to be clear and get a quick answer. I dig the metric system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring View Post
Even though I live in the US I have to say in my opinion the thread title wrong - it's "standard or Imperial units". Metric is pretty universal outside this country for some silly reason. Where do I have to go to sign the metric petition?

I have recently gone through the annoying quest for metric fittings... surprising, considering the number of Asian and European cars here (and the fact so many US car parts are shipped metric) maybe the auto parts stores would carry a few more metric fasteners.... sigh...
I did use metric fittings, it was the lines and the flares I was curious about. All seems to fit well. We'll really find out when I get the whole system juiced up and bled later this week..
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post
I did use metric fittings, it was the lines and the flares I was curious about.
Then you're good, provided you didn't bodge the flares.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake