Stalling while wheelin' - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2009, 07:00 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Stalling while wheelin'

Hit up some trails in Western MA this past weekend as I was up for a hometown party. First one was some sections of Rattlesnake Gutter.

For the most part the 90 did great along a section of powerlines going the easier way but I had a real PITA situation when I got into the woods and started the HardCore loop on the easy direction. Couldn't get the first step and after a coupe of attempts, the truck started running rough and would stall. Tried to restart and it wouldn't, then floored the skinny pedal, waited a moment and it would come back - barely running and I had to be ease the throttle to keep it running. This situation happened in this same spot when I ran this trail back in July.

Not a great feeling so I turned it around and kept it in 1st gear with higher revs. Ran into a group of cool Jeepers (couple of flat-fenders and CJ's in the line which was great to see) and followed them back down the steep section of the powerlines to the "parking lot". Truck continued to run shitty and I had to start it up a few times which sucked on this section. Once I got out of the Lot and onto the road it was still running very rough but a couple miles out it was idling fine and pulled great from a stop sign.

Yesterday, I ran some trail very close to where I grew up. Before I went out I pulled the MAF and used cleaner although the inside looked very clean. On the trail the 90 ran ok but I kept a steady pace and there wasn't any section that was too tech. I also kept it in 1st gear on some sections that I would normally go 2nd. Both my dad and I noticed just some hesitation on climbs. Again, once I got out to the main road for a while, she ran fine.

Around town and on the highway the truck seems to run great - it's just on the trail that this happens - at tickover RPM speed and bouncing around.

Setup: '95 w/ 3.9 - Mallory ignition, Magnecor wires, very recent plugs & fuel filter.

Sorry for the long post - but tried to provide as much info as possible - if anyone has any suggestions or tricks to look for next time I go out I'd love to hear it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2009, 08:15 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Last month my rig started stalling on me then after letting it sit for a minute it would start up fine the run okay for a mile or two. It would be fine when at idle even when revving.
Problem only happened when engine was strained.
Kind of similar problem. Turned out one of O2 sensors went bad.
Maybe that may be causing your stalling?
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90
Last month my rig started stalling on me then after letting it sit for a minute it would start up fine the run okay for a mile or two. It would be fine when at idle even when revving.
Problem only happened when engine was strained.
Kind of similar problem. Turned out one of O2 sensors went bad.
Maybe that may be causing your stalling?
Thanks - I'll look into the 02 sensors. It was one of the items I was thinking as well as something with the MAF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Smile

Don, sorry we couldnt hook up on rattlesnake.
Our group made it thru the mud track on the side trail and we were going to do the hard core but I had a p38 and stock d2 with us and I didnt think they would make it without some winching.

For your issue I would change the fuel filter . I assume when you were off camber and climbing that some debris might have dislodged and got stuck causing fuel startvation.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1rattle0809.bmp (706.7 KB, 124 views)
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

x2 fuel related
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Don, sorry we couldnt hook up on rattlesnake.
Our group made it thru the mud track on the side trail and we were going to do the hard core but I had a p38 and stock d2 with us and I didnt think they would make it without some winching.

For your issue I would change the fuel filter . I assume when you were off camber and climbing that some debris might have dislodged and got stuck causing fuel startvation.
Ron - one of these times we'll meet up. Rattlesnake is a really nice zone. There's a little for everyone. I was actually going to winch that first step after the turn on the easy way hard core loop as I was solo and just having a tough time with it. The truck running crappy didn't help.

That pic is great - your truck makes it look too easy - that's near the beginning right - first climb on the powerlines? Did the P38 and D2 go that route or through the dirt road in the woods?

I actually changed the fuel filter right before this trip thinking the same thing. Maybe injectors?
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I don't see how odd angles would affect injectors, it sounds like a fuel pump pick up issue.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Hit up some trails in Western MA this past weekend as I was up for a hometown party. First one was some sections of Rattlesnake Gutter.

For the most part the 90 did great along a section of powerlines going the easier way but I had a real PITA situation when I got into the woods and started the HardCore loop on the easy direction. Couldn't get the first step and after a coupe of attempts, the truck started running rough and would stall. Tried to restart and it wouldn't, then floored the skinny pedal, waited a moment and it would come back - barely running and I had to be ease the throttle to keep it running. This situation happened in this same spot when I ran this trail back in July.

Not a great feeling so I turned it around and kept it in 1st gear with higher revs. Ran into a group of cool Jeepers (couple of flat-fenders and CJ's in the line which was great to see) and followed them back down the steep section of the powerlines to the "parking lot". Truck continued to run shitty and I had to start it up a few times which sucked on this section. Once I got out of the Lot and onto the road it was still running very rough but a couple miles out it was idling fine and pulled great from a stop sign.

Yesterday, I ran some trail very close to where I grew up. Before I went out I pulled the MAF and used cleaner although the inside looked very clean. On the trail the 90 ran ok but I kept a steady pace and there wasn't any section that was too tech. I also kept it in 1st gear on some sections that I would normally go 2nd. Both my dad and I noticed just some hesitation on climbs. Again, once I got out to the main road for a while, she ran fine.

Around town and on the highway the truck seems to run great - it's just on the trail that this happens - at tickover RPM speed and bouncing around.

Setup: '95 w/ 3.9 - Mallory ignition, Magnecor wires, very recent plugs & fuel filter.

Sorry for the long post - but tried to provide as much info as possible - if anyone has any suggestions or tricks to look for next time I go out I'd love to hear it.
Don how big are the tires youre running? Do you have the diff in low? If you are running big tires and have your diff lock in high you are going to find yourself stalling alot especially with stock gears. Just a thought.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Don how big are the tires youre running? Do you have the diff in low? If you are running big tires and have your diff lock in high you are going to find yourself stalling alot especially with stock gears. Just a thought.
Running 255-85-16s BFG MT's - Diff was in low locked - stock gearing.

I was using 2nd gear at tick over - 1,100 RPMs and 1st gear up in the 2,000 RPM range. Speed was a little more than walking pace.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
In that case I think Ron and Scott are probably right youve got a fuel pickup issue.
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:28 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
In that case I think Ron and Scott are probably right youve got a fuel pickup issue.
Thanks - I'll look into it.
Old August 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Ron - one of these times we'll meet up. Rattlesnake is a really nice zone. There's a little for everyone. I was actually going to winch that first step after the turn on the easy way hard core loop as I was solo and just having a tough time with it.

Planning on another run in September

That pic is great - your truck makes it look too easy - that's near the beginning right - first climb on the powerlines? Did the P38 and D2 go that route or through the dirt road in the woods?
Yes thats the first obstacle and the D2 and P38 both made it up. We have some good spotters in the group. Mind you the P38 has a 3" lift .

I vote for fuel pump pick up were you low on gas?
Old August 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron
Ron - one of these times we'll meet up. Rattlesnake is a really nice zone. There's a little for everyone. I was actually going to winch that first step after the turn on the easy way hard core loop as I was solo and just having a tough time with it.

Planning on another run in September

Yes thats the first obstacle and the D2 and P38 both made it up. We have some good spotters in the group. Mind you the P38 has a 3" lift .

I vote for fuel pump pick up were you low on gas?
September could work for me - it's such a nice time of year up there as you know.

That section definitely helps with a good spotter or 2.

Actually filled up right when I got off 91. Looks like I'll pull the tank and fuel pump. From what I've researched the OEM pump has the sender and pickup as one piece. My truck has just over $100k so if it's the original, might be the time to do.

Not sure if this is related but the fuel gauge has been bouncing all over when the tank is filled. Using a VDO on the dash and when I first installed the gauge it was steady - moves less when the fuel gets lower which I thought was weird.
Old October 15th, 2009, 10:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Swapped out the fuel pump for a fresh unit from AB a couple weeks ago and that didn't seem to fix anything save for the bouncing gauge which now shows correctly and is stable.

I did mimic the issues that I had on trail by a few days ago while driving around a neighborhood at low speed and having the 90 idle for a period of time. On the NJ coastal area so no hills at all.

So, it seems to act up when it's running at tick-over to 1,200 RPMs at a length of time. It feels like it's "bogging up" and comes close to stall depending on how I give it throttle. Once I get the RPMs above 2,500 for a little bit, it seems like it clears whatever out and then runs normal.

My next step is to bring it to a local performance shop (http://www.greensperf.com/index.htm) rather than the local Euro shop that told me that Rover V8's just "run rough" when I tried to explain the situation. Any ideas on what I should ask the shop to look at?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:35 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I know this thread is coming back from the dead but I think I have finally sorted out this issue and hope it might help with someone else at some point.

The issue with it stalling and running rough was a couple of things. One, the local garage found in the spring of '10 was the coil was bad and showed it when it got hot. At one point the vacuum advanced, hit the distributor wires and was shorting out. The at RC, I must have cracked the ballast resistor for the 2nd time and replaced it with a 30451 coil that doe not need an external ballast resistor.

I thought things were running pretty well but last week, while driving in the heat and in traffic conditions, the truck was surging at RPM's in the 1,100 to 1,400 range. It would pop like crazy when I tried to give it a little more skinny pedal but then run fine once it got over 1,500 RPMs. Traiffc situation is a bit like off-road and like the first post I was having the same issue. I thought it was the O2 sensors (I disconnected, still did it), check all the connections of the coil I just put in, replaced the vacuum lines, cleaned the flame trap, the "T" and the hoses associated with it, checked the MAF and was seaching google, dweb and d90 for anything.

I finally stumbed upon this: http://www.noroads.com/defender90/pr...stributor.html I read that he adjusted the vacuum advance on the Mallory all the way out and after reading some other threads with Mallorys that guys do the same or even disconnect to see if there is an issue I tried it out. Yesterday, I drove the 90 as much as possible in the low RPM range and didn't have any issues. Hopefully this solves it as I have a shitload of other crap that's bothering me with it and that needs attention. What a pain in the ass this was but felt good to drive the 90 without it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel