Stalling when at idle. Help please. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Stalling when at idle. Help please.

Hello all. I need some advise. I have a 95 d-90 that has been neglected and garaged for the "pretty days" that is now my daily driver. Things are starting to go wrong in all sorts of ways, but I am getting a handle on it now. Here is my biggest issue. When I let the truck sit at idle it dies. Prior to this it has been hard to start when it is extremely humid out and when it does start it runs like it is missing a cylinder until it really heats up. I pulled the dist cap and hit it with a hair dryer once, and that seamed to help on that issue. Anyway this is what I am getting back on this. My mechanic has told me that he thinks it is stalling because I am putting cheap gas in. He is smelling fuel in the exhaust. He recommended better fuel and berryman's. What say you all, and thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 01:22 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I would start off with the simple stuff. Run a can of BG 44K through with the next tank of (quality) fuel. Check all of your spark plug leads: make sure they are intact, boots are good, no water under the boots. When you reinstall the boots, pack some dielectric grease in them. Check the lead that runs from the ignition coil to the distributor and do the same thing. Make sure all of the spade plugs are secure on the bottom of the coil.

Try these things first. If that doesn't fix it, come back and we can go over the next steps (fuel filter, fuel pump issues, throttle body cleaner, etc).
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Chris. That is incredibly helpful in terms of walking through different problems solving steps. I will do so and get back to you all on this. I did recently replace my fuel pump and fuel filter so that may or may not have much to do with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I would also do a search on Stepper Motor as that controls your air mixture at idle and can also cause hard start issues...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle