Stalling RR? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 17th, 2005, 01:24 AM
headdamage
Andrew
exmod 90 2.5na and a 93/RRC 200tdi

Stalling RR?

Hi,

My NAS 1987 Range Rover has sort of died. For the past few weeks it has tended to stall on the first start of the day and be a little difficult to restart then it is ok for the rest of the day. As of a couple of days ago it go worse. When I first get into it and try to start it it fires right but but then seems to run out of gas within about 4 or 5 seconds. Trying to restart just results in alot of cranking and no action. If I try again a few hours later it starts agian and then dies agian. The fuel pump and relay sound like they are working and my feeling is that it is a lack of fuel not a lack of spark. I suspect a clogged fuel filter and will try that first but am asking here incase anyone has had this happen. My fuel gauge also started acting up a month or so ago and I haven't fixed that yet, related issue? Thanks for any input.

Andrew
BTW... I have a 1987 RR engine and tranny in my project 90 so it is sort of a 90 question to incase I run into the same problem there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2005, 01:56 AM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

My 90 Classic (1990) Was stalling and running rough on start up. Also when coming to a fast stop. I removed and cleaned the idle stepper moter and the problem eased up. I replaced it with a cross over part at Pep Boys for 30 bucks and the rig has been fine since.

Try this link for more info about the stepper motor http://www.rangerovers.net/rrpartsv.htm#stepper Hope this helps.
Old March 18th, 2005, 02:33 AM
little black duck
Michael Jude
2004/D90 Td5

I had a 91 Disco that had a few tempermental issues.

The starting problem on my disco was because of a blown head gasket, I also had a problem with it turning off whilst drivig down the road. the naswer to the second on was to remove the after market immobiliser.

Is it using any fluids excessivelly?

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2005, 08:06 PM
headdamage
Andrew

No fluid problems.

Changed fuel filer
Checked fuel pressure (38psi)
Charged batt
Tried another good coil
Tried another good ECU

I don't know what is wrong but it still starts good then shuts off in a few seconds and will not restart untill you let it sit for a couple of hours then it does the same thing again.
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Could be a bad ignition module on the distributor, they have a known problem with going bad over time due to the heat underhood.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:29 AM
headdamage
Andrew

Well I messed around with it some more and followed the whole electronics check routine in the manual and now it is running fine. It was the Throttle pot, it was out of adjustment.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions