Stalling at Idle and switching gears at low speed - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:55 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Stalling at Idle and switching gears at low speed

Hey guys, haven't posted on here in forever. Ok, well after multiple deployments overseas, I decided to break out my '83 D110 as a daily driver. I'm having one critical issue: stalling...

It likes to stall when at an idle (stop sign, stop light, etc) or when I switch gears at low speed.

Engine setup: I have an '83 with the original engine. I swapped the tranny to be automatic. I cranked my idle speed all the way up to the highest level..no luck. And, the engine has a Edelbrock carburetor.

Any help would be appreciated. I plan on hitting the trail this weekend with the wife, so the quicker the better! Thanks guys!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:31 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Changed the Fuel Filter last night, and replaced it with a generic Duralast filter (5/16"). Also, put Sea Foam in the tank. So far, I see a marked 90% improvement. I think the next step would be to clean the carb. Any other thoughts out there?

Tune up was conducted 5 months ago, and timing was good at that point.

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:16 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
with a conventional carb, the sky is the limit with diag and repair, fuel slodge, vaccum leaks, base idle, idle mixture, accelaration pump, choke, bad base, old gaskets, clogged jets, improper float level etc.
used to be you could drive into a shop and tune up would include carb overhaul by experienced seasoned mechanics, now a days with fuel injection being the norm, carbs have become a misunderstood unit which when not working correctly simply gets replaced.
the best way to diag a carb failure is by actually seing it operating.
best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2013, 07:07 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
I didn't think I would be one of the only guys on this forum with a 3.5L V8 Rover engine that had issues. But anyways..

Thanks guys. Yea...it seems that there aren't any true mechanics anymore that feel comfortable around carbs. Even the local import shop here said they refuse to work on carb engines. I think my next step is cleaning out the carb, then if that doesn't work...go down the next road I guess.

Old March 28th, 2013, 07:20 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Talk to the local speed shop, I am sure they know someone that tunes and rebuilds carbs just need to talk to the right kind of people

That thing got a HEMI?
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Let the seafoam do its stuff, fresh gas helps to. Go through a couple of tanks then add techron in another tank.
It missed you and is in a snit. Lots of driving will make it feel loved.
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:28 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Awesome, guys! Thanks, and Happy Easter!

Old March 29th, 2013, 08:40 AM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
The Edelbrock and Carter AFB carbs are really easy to clean out. Pick yourself up a new body gasket and take the upper half off. The fuel level should be below the gasket (by design so it does not leak). Clean out any gunk in the bottom of the fuel bowl areas and blow through the jets and such. Then put her all back together.

If that and the seafoam don't fix everything, you can do a fill rebuild.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:47 AM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Decided to use GumOut carb spray, and man, did that make a difference. It's like I'm driving a new truck. Took off the air filter and very liberally sprayed the entire bowl and intake with it. So far, only one stall since. I plan on using up the entire spray bottle on the intake over the next few weeks. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old May 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Solved

SOLVED: Idle speed was too low. Turned it up slightly; now no stalling issues.

After addressing all of the possible culprits: fuel filter, fuel quality, and air intake, I decided to test the battery. While in "drive" at a stop light, the truck would stall out; I noticed that the battery indicator on the dash would show a decrease in voltage, when it was in "drive" after a bit. When in "park" there was no issue.

Went to autozone and tested the battery and alternator...battery tested fine. Alternator gave a readout of "bad voltage regulator"....so, I thought that a bad alternator was the issue. **insert a week or so investigating alternators**

Went to a local alternator repair shop. The battery and alternator tested out to be just fine... Then the older mechanic came over and pointed at the carb intake's idle screw on the front. I turned it a 1/8th screw turn...truck ran smooth and no issues with stalling.

All in all, learned alot about the truck and solved the issue. Thanks for everyone's help!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle, switch