stalling and sputtering - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2004, 02:02 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

stalling and sputtering

fellas, i need help. i have posted here several times regarding the same problem, and it will not go away. it seems to correct itself for a time, but always comes back, days, weeks, or even months later.

the problem is that my truck, which normally runs very strong, sometimes begins to spit and sputter, will lose power and die. this happens when i am driving, or when i am at idle. weather plays no role in it, nor does moisture from what i can tell. This latest problem seemed to happen more when i would shake the truck by going over speed bumps or rail road tracks. This morning it cranked and ran fine, but then it would not start after it sat all morning at my office. The starter sounds good, then when the truck goes to idle, it sputters and runs rough, then dies in a matter of 20 to 30 seconds. When i push the gas, it acts as though it is actually cutting off the flow of gas to the engine, and seems to have a negative effect on the idle. Most of the time, giving it gas actually kills it. it smells VERY exhaust heavy while this is happening. After trying for almost an hour to start it with the same result, it suddenly started fine, and ran great all the way home. This is REALLY pissing me off, and if i don't figure this out pretty soon, i'm getting rid of the f*ing thing and buying a G wagon. hell, at this point, i'm about ready to buy a jeep.

i have replaced both cats within the last 2 years and i have recently installed a new flowmaster muffler. I have had all of my fluids changed within the last month. And i checked my distributor cap and plug wires which all seemed fine to me. I haven't replaced my fuel filter in a while, but did that a year or so ago when this was happening and it didn't make any difference in the way it ran. Help me. For the love of god. What is wrong with this thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 07:29 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

I'd still replace that fuel filter Tom, Maybe you've got some crap in the tank that occasionally get's stirred up.
Old November 4th, 2004, 09:59 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Tom - When my mechanic dropped the fuel tank to install the Dave Lucas skidplate a few months back, he said there was a bunch of water and sediment on the bottom of the tank. He was able to get his arm dowm in there and sop it up with paper towels. You might want to run your truck as close to empty as you dare then drop the tank and take a look in there. If there is crap on the bottom it could be clogging up your fuel filter every time you get low on gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Checked your ICM?
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

ICM? according to my mechanic, the fault code is reading the IAC (Idle air controller) Solenoid (?) what the hell is that? And where can i get one?
Old November 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

do a search for "stepper motor" in the forum. You may get away with just a good cleaing of it and the intake path. Worst case, get a new genuine one or try the alternate p/n
Old November 4th, 2004, 04:07 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

thanks for the quick reply Mr. Brooks. I did some research and did find that it was fault code number 48 and that it was indeed the stepper motor. (thanks Dave) New one's already on the way for $160 CHEAPER than what the dealership wanted for it. Dealerships be damned.
Old November 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Wow, that's better than the "jackass" that I'm usually referred to as . . .

Glad you found the problem, where'd you source the stepper motor? clean your plenum while you messing around in there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions