Stalling After Long Idle Time - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 7th, 2010, 11:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Stalling After Long Idle Time

I have had a weird issue with stalling but before today it only happened when I was on the trail (http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=21450)

Today I stopped to help someone that was stuck in a secondary road mud pit. Left the 90 running and it had stopped running when I returned to it about 15 minutes later. It took me a while to get it running again and when it did fire, the only thing that would get it from running rough was driving at higher revs for a while on the road. After a mile or 2 it would idle fine and felt normal.

Got home and tried to mimic what had happened. Left it running in the driveway for 20 minutes checking on it every 5 minutes or so and it finally just stopped running. Turned off the ignition, went back inside and when I came back out 20 minutes later it fired right up, a couple of blips of the throttle with a little hesitation from the engine and then it seemed to run fine.

I can see why I had the same problem on the trail as I'd be just over idle for many minutes. I'm going to bring it to a shop as hopefully they will the diagnostic tools to figure it out now that I can replicate it in a driveway. But would love to hear if any one on the board has an idea why it would run fine but dies when idling for a long length of time. TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2010, 08:33 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

It could be as simple as the spark plugs are fouled. If it's been a while since you changed them, put in a new set and then run your test again.
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:59 AM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

I had an similar issue with my trail truck... mine turned out to be a problem with my distributor cap. It caused my plugs not to deliver a full spark, it would idle rough and die. I figured it out after I changed fouled plugs twice.
Advertisement

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Just to update this thread, I had the 90 at the local garage for a few days so they could run diagnostics on it.

The finally traced it back to a bad coil. Weird as I've heard that coils don't usually give up ghost so quickly (I had installed that Mallory coil with the Mallory dizzy last April). I don't know if the coil had something to do with the cracked in half ballast resistor or vice-versa. They said the coil was leaking into the wire and when I shake it there feels like fluid moving around.

Seems like when the engine bay got hot the coil would act funny and give up. And only hot enough when the hood/bonnet was down.

So there is a Lucas coil in there now as that is what the shop had. Seems to be running better (and I don't want to jinx it ) but I noticed in first gear and in reverse I can let the clutch out now, at idle and brake lightly and it runs more smoothly than before.
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Glad it is running again. My ballast resister is totally cracked and falling apart (I have a spare in the wings) but still operates just fine. I am curious--did you notice any difference in power between the Mallory coil and the lucas/bosch coil? I have always run the latter and thought from time to time about getting a mallory coil (and/or a hyfire set up) but never really thought it would make any noticeable difference other than on a race engine since I am 90% of the time under 4K RPM. Curious to know, though.
Old April 24th, 2010, 11:31 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Yeah, the cracked ballast resistor has me curious. From what I understand they get hot and might get surface cracks but like yours mine fell apart (the inside looks a little "burnt") and not sure if that should happen or what would cause it to.

It's been so long and with the bad Mallory coil, I honestly don't know if the Mallory gave more power. I'm just happy that the truck is running better now especially at low RPM levels. I'm driving it to MA today so I'll see what she does on the highway and I'm bringing an extra coil just in case.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the Mallory is overall a better setup than stock. With the coil going bad in a year, cracked ballast resistor and hearing from Sam @ Century Performance that he might not carry Mallory any more I wonder if their quality just isn't there nowadays.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle