Stalling - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old January 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

1995 D-90, 70,000ish miles.

I have not looked at anything yet. No tests, procedures...hell, I have not even popped the hood yet.

But, I'm having an issue with the 90 stalling. Sometimes it drives and runs fine, other times I'll be cruising at 35mph and it will just stop running, drift start, and keep going. Other times it will fall on its face and barley stay running, if at all. But as soon as you restart it everything is fine again.

The top end was rebuilt not long ago by Tillery and Drew Sobota.

I can't really tell if this is fuel related or not, but there was a new fuel pump just installed. It almost seems as if it has a bad ignition switch or something, but giggling the key or banging on the steering column does not cause the problem.

Would a failing ignition module cause an issue such as this? Any other common failures that would cause this? Does the 1995 5-speed have a VSS?

Old January 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
I dont know about the 95 (4.0 yes?) but I will put the the infamous stepper motor on the table.

I had a 3.9 a long time ago which had similar issues and it was the stepper. IIRC... take it out and clean it, see if it fixes it briefly, if it does replace it.

Old January 17th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST
The '95 does have a VSS. I replaced mine when I had stalling issues, but my symptoms were slightly different in that it would stall when I when I would come to a stop after driving. The VSS replacement did fix my problem.
Old January 17th, 2011, 03:22 PM
1995 SW #487/500
I had something similar it was the TPS.
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top
While you are cleaning the stepper motor, also clean the butterfly valves where the air filter intake hose goes into the top of the engine. Remove the hose using a screwdriver to loosen the clamp, pull the big hose off and you see the butterfly valves (throttle valves??) squirt some throttle body cleaner on these while opening them by moving the linkage. Dry off with a towel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions