Stalled like running out of fuel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2004, 07:21 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Stalled like running out of fuel

Today while braking and taking a soft right turn, my defender stalled -
exactly like it would have if I was running the tank empty. I could
turn it over and it would act like it was going to start and
immediately die.

I sat for a minute contemplating my options, and then tried again - and
she started fine. I only had to drive a minute further. Lets hope the
trip home is ok.

I have a half tank of gas. Could it be dirt/water in the fuel? I'm not
even sure if this thing as a mechanical or electrical fuel pump to tell
you the truth.

I'm told the cats going bad can do this. Can someone explain what happens there - does the 02 sensor tell the computer to shut down? How can I test?

Anything else I should check for? I am planning on taking a trip to the beach this weekend - 4 hrs each way and a lot of driving in between.

thanks
charles
94 ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2004, 07:40 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Could be a lot of things.
Vapor Lock
Dirty Fuel
Dirty Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump Problem
Fuel Pump Relay Problem
Fuel Pump Wiring Problem
Etc......
See if your computer threw a code. That would be the place to start. It should show something if an o2 sensor is not working. Good luck, problems like this could make a sane man crazy.
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:17 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Check your pump relay. I had the same problem and changed the fuel pump, fuel filter and it turned out to be the relay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2004, 08:20 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

First check the computer for a code before digging any further - it's the easiest thing to eliminate.

A plugged cat converter would probably not behave inconsistantly -- it's likely either plugged or not. If plugged, you could definitely have huge power loss -- basically, the engine can't 'exhale' so it therefore can't breathe. I don't see how that could be intermittant.

One thing I'd do right away after checking the code is toss in some fuel system dryer to eliminate the possibility of water in the tank. Then, go to a different filling station than the last one you filled at and top off the tank (these two things could mitigate bad/contaminated fuel).

Your fuel pump is electric - only fairly early fuel injection systems used mechanical pumps. Fuel injection requires much higher pressure in the line than a carb does. If you get into a situation where the D stops running again you could open the line to the fuel rail and see if the pump is still pushing fuel (bring a bucket - it could get messy). Even better would be to install a small inline fuel pressure gauge (make sure you get one that's meant for fuel injection systems - higher pressure).
Old August 17th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Nobrega
Andrew Nobrega
'94 Defender 90

I had exactly the same problem. It was inconsistent, but had the same symptoms. Changed the O2 sensor then everything was running like new.
Old August 17th, 2004, 11:31 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
First off, let me apologize for not searching the forums first. I see now there are a number of related threads.

Second, and don't laugh, but how do I read the codes? I found the diagnostic box on the passenger side just above the ECU. When I turn the ignition on, I see no flashing. Not sure if I need to do anything else.

Last, I have a few data points I should have mentioned

1. she is getting poor gas mileage - about 9-10 mpg
2. It has to turn over several times before starting, but runs fine once started.

I planned to have given it a tune-up already, but the dealer pricing scared me off. I bought a oil filter, air filter, plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor for $250, and decided to keep the oil filter and return the rest. I need to find a good online source for the rest.

thanks
charles
p.s. Should the ECU be screwed down? Min just rests on a bracket, not screwed down.
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:01 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Miles?

I would buy genuine rotor cap fuel filter and air filter, magnacore wires and replace all them. It sounds like you are not sure when any of this was done

I would clean the stepper motor

Odds are though the stalling is related to a sensor or electrical issue.

If it happens again, pull the O2 sensor wires off and see if it continues to happen. You can do the same with the MAF. when they are unplugged the ECU puts in a default setting.

I would guess/check (in approximate order):

Fuel pump relay
ECU relay
Ignition module (see if the update was done)
Bad coil wire
Fuel pump
MAF
TPS
ECU
O2 sensor

The crap gas mpg is inconsistent with the relays and more consistent with a bad O2 or two especailly if it is a recent decrease, if its always been that way the two issues may be unrelated.

Ron
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:05 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
76,500 Miles. I haved only run 2.5 tanks of gas through it, so cannot comment on previous fuel economy or maintenance.

So would I have seen the led flashing on the diagnostic box if there was a code?

Recommended source for the tuneup parts other than the dealer?

I'll give her a tuneup as planned, and go through these items.

Thanks!
charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel