Stainless nuts on a Aluminium bellhousing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Stainless nuts on a Aluminium bellhousing

Any possible Negative affects of using stainless nuts and washers on a aluminium Bellhousing? I had a bunch laying around.
I remember hearing something about stainless on aluminium body panels, wondered if the issues would be the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yes, definite issues there of whatever the electrochemical process is called. Use regular steel, and coat the living hell out of it with anti-seize.

Stainless nuts and bolts, as pointed out by some other forum members to me in the past, are also not as strong as regular steel in fastener applications. Stick to grade 5 or grade 8 regular steel on all important hardware.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Galvanic action is the term
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2009, 02:03 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Yes, definite issues there of whatever the electrochemical process is called. Use regular steel, and coat the living hell out of it with anti-seize.
I thought Stainless would have less reaction than standard steel?
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Yes it still has galvanic effect but less than mild steel and aluminum. Check this out about half way down the page.

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleid=1177
Old March 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Huh, I always though that stainless/aluminum combos were worse than steel/aluminum combinatiosn for the galvanic corrosion.

Either way though, stainless hardware does usually have much less tensile and sheer strength than grade 5 or grade 8 standard steel. As we're talking nuts, not bolts, either grade 5 or 8 should be fine in this application, with 8 being stronger. If you were talking bolts, I'd probably stick with grade 5 due to the better sheer strength than grade 8.

And since it's a New York truck now, anti-seize is your friend. Use it, use it, use it. Almost all the rain and humidity around here has some degree of salt in it, with the associated PH, and that's what causes all our corrosion issues around here. Driving on the beach is a death sentance for trucks, and road salt doesn't help either.

-Hans

Old March 4th, 2009, 05:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Your best friend:

http://www.wurthredlabel.com/product...cat=249&page=5

"I put that sh*t on everything" just like http://www.franksredhot.com/
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Rocketman
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110

According to the table at this site -- http://www.ssina.com/corrosion/galvanic.html. You would be better off not using stainless steel in contact with aluminum. Best to use zinc plated or cad plated steel.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

Yes Bricklan comes to mind
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman
According to the table at this site -- http://www.ssina.com/corrosion/galvanic.html. You would be better off not using stainless steel in contact with aluminum. Best to use zinc plated or cad plated steel.
I've been contemplating just zinc plating the stainless myself when it comes time to re-assemble everything. It won't last on the exposed surfaces but those in contact with the other surfaces should last just fine.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think I am more confused now than before I started reading this thread.

I bought stainless screws to replace the galvanized bracket that sits at the bottom of the rear door entry (and holds down the rubber seal). The screws holding that bracket had corroded to the point where two of them wouldn't come out. I was going to paint the screws and the bracket black and use anti-seize just in case. Is this advisable?

Are the holes on the rear tub (that hold the rear entry bracket) threaded? Can I just drill out the broken screws?

Tips appreciated.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Stainless against aluminum is a good idea but the problem here is that stainless bolts are considerably weaker than standard steel or grade 8. In this application, bolting the trany to the engine block, the stainless would break, probably even before you got the proper torque on them. This would leave you with a hell-of'a problem of getting them out of the block. Vibration and engine torque would inevitably cause them to fail at the worst time and place. Stick with standard bolts.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I understand if its for attaching the transfer case to the engine it is absolutely essential but if its just to hold down a thin bracket on the bottom of the rear door entry you don't think I could get away with stainless?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Stainless against aluminum is a good idea but the problem here is that stainless bolts are considerably weaker than standard steel or grade 8. In this application, bolting the trany to the engine block, the stainless would break, probably even before you got the proper torque on them. This would leave you with a hell-of'a problem of getting them out of the block. Vibration and engine torque would inevitably cause them to fail at the worst time and place. Stick with standard bolts.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

As a fastener stainless is fine, but be sure to use an anti seize between a stainless bot & nut. The metal will gall up quickly and you'll end up having to overthighten & bust them to get them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
I understand if its for attaching the transfer case to the engine it is absolutely essential but if its just to hold down a thin bracket on the bottom of the rear door entry you don't think I could get away with stainless?

Thanks!
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Gotcha.

What would you use to avoid galvanic corrosion altogether? Zinc plated screws?
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Gotcha.

What would you use to avoid galvanic corrosion altogether? Zinc plated screws?
You'll never avoid it altogether. The purpose of the zinc coating is to sacrifice itself in lieu of the screw or the hole it goes into.

Folks get way too bent up about the stainless strength issue. Look at the fastener you're replacing. Is it graded? Yes? then replace it with the identical hardware, right down to the plating. No? Feel free to replace it with stainless if that floats your boat.

Stainless nuts and washers on plated steel bolts (as in the OP's situation)? No problem. Anti-seize not required.

Stainless on stainless - time for anti-seize.

Steel or stainless on aluminum - time for anti-seize.

High temperature application? Anti-seize.
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spalding
You'll never avoid it altogether. The purpose of the zinc coating is to sacrifice itself in lieu of the screw or the hole it goes into.

Folks get way too bent up about the stainless strength issue. Look at the fastener you're replacing. Is it graded? Yes? then replace it with the identical hardware, right down to the plating. No? Feel free to replace it with stainless if that floats your boat.

Stainless nuts and washers on plated steel bolts (as in the OP's situation)? No problem. Anti-seize not required.

Stainless on stainless - time for anti-seize.

Steel or stainless on aluminum - time for anti-seize.

High temperature application? Anti-seize.
You forget....
if you live anywhere in the Northeast US, anti-seize everything. We get some pretty nasty corrosion issues around here.

-Hans

Old January 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
You forget....
if you live anywhere in the Northeast US, anti-seize everything. We get some pretty nasty corrosion issues around here.
Good point. I'm a SoCal boy.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Ok, so in this thread I have learned how to prevent galvanic corrosion on screws.

How do I deal with the screws that have corroded shut and won't come out? When I removed the rear door bottom trim 4 out of the 7 screws where completely corroded shut and broke off (see picture). How do I get them out? Are these holes threaded? I tried drilling one out but the hole is small and the bit broke because it was too thin? Is there something I can spray on them? I would like to get these out so that I can re-attach the trim piece and the bottom rubber rear door seal again but I am stumped. Suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	24269   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2181.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	24270  

Old January 11th, 2010, 12:09 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

PB Blaster

I have had good luck with vice grips, if that does not work there are other options

cut a slot in the screw and use a flathead screw driver

Drill the srew out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions