Stainless door hinge bolts and other rust - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
I'd like to call fastenal for the hinge bolts, but does anybody have the length and thread pitch numbers?
Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I suggest you swap out the bolts (which are originally M8) with 5/16". The bolts on the bulkhead side need to be 1" or 1 1/4" (either works) and the door side requires 2 1/4". 2-inchers are a little short, but work if you use thin nyloc "jam nuts." The best solution is to buy 2 1/2" bolts and cut off the excess with a dremel tool or some such.

I believe you will have trouble finding the 65mm length bolts which are OEM in an oval head phillips style (much less an M8x65 pozidrive). The advantage of replacing the bolts with standard is that it allows you to change out the nut part of the "J-nuts" with a 5/16" square nut - that way, you are threading a stainless bolt into a stainless nut and reducing the chance for future corrosion.

Order the parts from Mcmaster, they're pretty cheap.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
I got the fasteners you suggested at the local Fastenal. My question is what is on the inside of the bulkhead? Will a 5/16 thread into what's in there or will I have to replace a nut in there too, and if I do, how the heck do I get in there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

After you remove the existing bolts that hold the hinge to the vehicle, you will see the clips that hold the 'captive' nuts; if they're called that. You can see what they look like on the EE website:

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/muduk/

[EDIT]: looks like you can bend the square nut retainers and put your own in...possibly.
Old September 14th, 2007, 02:13 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can bend the square nut retainers and put your own in. I've done it many, many times.
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:25 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Great, thanks. The reason I ask is that I have to take it to a buddy's shop about a half hour away to get the proper tools to remove the bolts. They're rusted in and I can't get 'em out, and I want to have all the correct hardware before I start. I got the door-side bolts out fairly easily once I took off the door trim panel.
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
What you need to get the bulkhead side bolts out is an impact driver, not an air tool, but the kind of screwdriver that you smack with a mallet. It works so well its surprising. This type of tool is very cheap.
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz

Registry
Yeah, he said he's got something that will get them out, and I'm thinking that's what it is. If not, I'll go out and pick one up. I checked out the EE site, and now I see why you suggested the square nuts instead of hex--so I can replace the OE "captive" nut. It's becoming less and less foggy...
Thanks guys!
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:59 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Having just done mine, you'll also need a drill so you drill out the ones that the impact driver can't get out.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts, door