ST roof rack mounting question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

ST roof rack mounting question

okay, I almost feel guilty. A landscaper I know did some work for a guy who gave him some roof racks that were just laying in his backyard. The landscaper told me for months that he had a roof rack I should come take a look at, but I from the sound of it I thought it was some cracker jack yakima rack or something, so I dragged my feet.

I finally went over to his place last weekend to check out what he had, and I'll be durned if he didn't have a genuine safety devices roof rack for a 90 in pristine shape just sitting there. He has the basket mounted on his old bronco that he rarely drives. So I took the two bars that mount on the roll cage and the rear ladder section home. As soon as I find him a replacement for the basket, I'll go pick that up too.

To replace the basket, I'm buying him the Yakima Mega Warrior with the 22 inch extension, so it's costing me $450, but I want him to be happy with what he's getting. I still feel like I'm stealing something, but he knows how much the sd rack is worth and is cool with the transaction.

Anyway, how do the bars that mount on the rollcage get fastened to the cage? I think there might be a bottom piece that wasn't included with what I'm getting. The bars I have rest on top the cage, but there's nothing on the bottom side of the cage. Anybody got a close up pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2006, 04:59 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

The install directions are in the Tech section. They should list all the parts needed for the install and you should be able to tell what you are missing.

http://www.defendersource.com/tech/r...k_install.html

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

Oops. I should have thought of that. Thanks, Chris.

Okay, so it looks like I need everything except for the cross rails, the basket, and the "clamp basket upper casting alloy". Hmm, time to use the internet for its intended purpose -- finding obscure land rover parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2006, 04:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Most of it is just M10 and M8 nuts and bolts (M10 up top, M8 on the ladder). You need one-inch spacers between the cross-bars and the basket when mounting to a soft top. I made some stiffeners out of aluminum for the ladder mount points at the back since the body flexes so much. I also used my now-famous pond-linder material between the body and the ladder mounts.
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Most of it is just M10 and M8 nuts and bolts (M10 up top, M8 on the ladder). You need one-inch spacers between the cross-bars and the basket when mounting to a soft top. I made some stiffeners out of aluminum for the ladder mount points at the back since the body flexes so much. I also used my now-famous pond-linder material between the body and the ladder mounts.
I have seen the pond liner and can vouch for it's uses! Jim is not only the president but also a client!
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

yeah, it looks like the hardest thing to find will be the bottom piece that secures the cross bars to the cage.

Thanks guys! I'm fired up about this - it's rare that cool shit like this happens to me.
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Matt,

There is a guy in NC selling a Yakima Rack with the 22" extension for $300.00 shipped... You may want to jump on that.

Scott

Old March 9th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

Thanks, Scott. About an two hours after I received the email indicating that the yakima I ordered had shipped, I saw a post in the Dweb classifieds offering exactly what I ordered for $300. Chapped my ass a bit, but I'm really in no position to complain.
Old March 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

The clamps that hold the crosscars to the cage are not hard to find. Just call Mike at West Cheser Rovers - listed in Vendors section. They are about $50.00/each.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, mount, rack, roof, roof rack