ST rear load space matt in SW? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2004, 02:02 PM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott
1997 D-90 Hardtop (#2369)

ST rear load space matt in SW?

I am curious if anyone has successfully installed a soft top rear load space matt into a station wagon. It seems like it would be a simple enough process requiring only the removal of the four rear jump seats. As a side note, the reason I am considering this option is because the original owner of my D-90 took all of the carpet out the load area leaving the painted aluminum completely exposed. I have the regular SW load space matt to protect the majority of this area, but the the sides and area between the seats are really starting to get beat up. I am not a real fan of carpet, so I thought the SW rubberized system might be a viable option.

Checked the search feature with negative results....

Thanks,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2004, 09:16 PM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

Its the same body, so it should fit.
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:13 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

I know that the dimensions are the same, I was just curious if anyone had actually done this and encountered problems. I can't think of any, but you never know for certain until you actually do it...

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2004, 08:01 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
It works fine in an SW. I did this to mine a while back. I elected to herculine and dynamat my rear at the same time. I reverse bolted my seats and use wing nuts with lock washers on the inside so that all of the seats are removable. Well, I only have room for one in the back these days.
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:25 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

British car service in LA did it for a 95' SW they were selling, it looked good and the only place you would hit a "bump in the road" on the 97' is with the center consol. You might need to unbolt the consol to get it underneth, no big deal.
Old November 1st, 2004, 03:47 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

My ST rear rubber mat just fell apart. I got lucky at Costco and for $15.00 each bought 2 rubber based mats. At 3x5, I trimmed an 1/8 off one side, 3/16th of the other and about 10" off the end. Second matt which will go on the side shelves. Vertical sections I will leave bare. $30 ain't bad. Left enough over to trace out the front mats and used it there as well (Note: was just about to buy front matts from RN discount bin but I had screwed up the item number and the phone service RN guy could not access the web while talking to me - patheritic system I guess - to order it.) RN lost that order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mat 2.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	1807  
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
Seriesman
Michael Elliott

Thanks for the input. With respect to buying flat rubber matt material and cutting it to fit, I did this in the back of my Series 3 with good results. The only problem is that the rubber eventually cracked and tore apart at the right angle area on top of the wheel well as it was not specifically formed for a right angle. No big deal in the back of an offroad beater, but I want to keep the Defender a little bit nicer inside.

Anyone have any photos of this matt in use with the four rear jump seats in place? Doesn't matter if it is a ST or SW, I am just curious to see how it looks with the seats installed. Just curious....

Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac