ST Door Tops and Studs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
ST Door Tops and Studs

I removed the door top on the passenger side to put on quick nuts and see if I couldn't adjust the seal a bit to help decrease the water on my door.

With that said here is my situation:
1. The rusty door studs came out nut and all from the door top, not with the door top like they should. Now I can't get the nuts off the studs- How do I do this? The rust isn't too bad, but apparently bade enough.

2. Can I order new rubber seals to put between my doors and tops? I know that there is another plastic bit that is supposed to direct water away and I think it is gone from my truck so I wanted to give it a fighting chance.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
If the nuts are corroded so badly that the studs just came out of the window frames, then Id see if you can just replace them with new.. or stainless.. At least you got your off at all, i don't think mine would budge!!

You could try soaking them in penetrating oil for a few days, rap on them a bit with a hammer to maybe loosen em up and allow the penetrant to work its way in. also, you might have to heat the nuts up w/ a torch and get a socket on em.. hold the studs in a vise firmly...

~Steve
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Stud in vice and used a 1/2 drive impact gun. The nut will come off.
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Put two nuts on the side opposite the nut you want to remove, then tighten them together and use the vise to hold the two nuts (that way the stud won't spin in the vise). But I think most of us have replaced them with stainless by now, I have.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:24 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I had so much fun with mine.
First time I took them off, studs were in bad shape. Some rust so ordered new sets from Rovers north.
INSIGHT #1 - get the extenders so you do not have to muck about behind the plastic door cover.
The plastic sleeves to go over the stud to protect everything - I have yet to get into place. 3 do not fit very well, are to tight to get in, and 1 drops out before I get it it
INSIGHT #2 - I do not use the plastic sleeves and my door tops have not fallen off yet.

June - November top and door tops are in storage. Is that not the best!

Again -all my personal experience and I am VERY sure no one else had any such problems and the bloody world is perfect.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:39 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
Again -all my personal experience and I am VERY sure no one else had any such problems and the bloody world is perfect.
LOL. I soaked mine in oil overnight and they came apart this AM. Good thing sinceI had to drive around without a door top today and of course it started snowing.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7130

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, door tops