ST Door Panels - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
ST Door Panels

Do any companys make a reproduction door panel for a ST d-90? what are my options
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:05 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Randy, I might know of someone who could make one out of Carbon fiber, but would require one/both for a mold. At least it would be durable.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Weldon
Weldon Pundt
"95" D-90

David,

What do you think the cost would be for the mold, I'm sure a group could be formed to purchase this item because this is not the first post on this item, I for one would love replace my panels with a much reliable product...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2006, 02:07 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I will do some digging. Don't know on cost.
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

panels

If you shop around you can get these panels new for about 260-275. each.
That makes them not worth the set up costs for glass, and glass is fragile and the plastic they are made form now is pretty tough.
The reason they break is because they are not cut right from the factory. If you trim and fit them to the door you are installing them on the screw holes will not break out and they will last a good long time.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:47 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What is the part # for the newer ones? I might look into them.. THe newer ones are grey right?
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I don't have the cost for these yet as the first pair are custom (and they aren't done yet) and the customer doesn't care what they cost. It all depends on how many sets I'll be making. They are a blend of Carbon / kevlar. Carbon mostly for the look, kevlar for the strength (no, it's not bullet proof!)

You will be able to buy the stock parts for less $.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The new ones are grey and are 1000 times tougher than the 1994 black versions.
ALR7825LNF and ALR7826LNF
Same thing used on 1995 and 1997 D90s

We just made some custom fiberglass panels for our 110 5 door rear door and did the molds and all... you don't wanna know what stuff like that costs. Plus glass with carbon fiber will be very fragile.
We did a lot of carbon work on my dune buggy... looks really cool, but it isn't tough enough for a door panel. I know I kick my door open with my foot and the panel takes it pretty hard, a flexy plastic is the way to go.

Old May 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
The new ones are grey and are 1000 times tougher than the 1994 black versions.
ALR7825LNF and ALR7826LNF
Same thing used on 1995 and 1997 D90s

We just made some custom fiberglass panels for our 110 5 door rear door and did the molds and all... you don't wanna know what stuff like that costs. Plus glass with carbon fiber will be very fragile.
We did a lot of carbon work on my dune buggy... looks really cool, but it isn't tough enough for a door panel. I know I kick my door open with my foot and the panel takes it pretty hard, a flexy plastic is the way to go.
Mike, let me say welcome to the board (I'm assuming by the post count you haven't been active here before). Here's a question regarding the new panels. Are they dark enough to fit in with rest of a '94 interior, or are they the lighter grey like what I've seen on late model Defenders?
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:57 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland
Mike, let me say welcome to the board (I'm assuming by the post count you haven't been active here before). Here's a question regarding the new panels. Are they dark enough to fit in with rest of a '94 interior, or are they the lighter grey like what I've seen on late model Defenders?
Well... they are not a perfect match, but as the black ones are NLA they are the only non-custom way to go.
They are far superirs to the "softish" original 1994 ones that tended to crack and rip, in my opinion. If you order the 1994 ones they come through grey now anyway.

As a side note the numbers I gave above are for the later style door retainer (late 1994, 1995 and 1997) There is a different number for the early 1994 D90 with the Series III style door retainer. Those I don't know off the top of my head.

Thanks for the welcome, new to the board a few days ago. Finally got high speed connection so surfing is easier now (yes, Maine is a little slow with stuff like that).

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:18 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Moulding in composites can indeed be very expensive, depending on the project and the approach used, the difference is experience. I work with an engineer that has been moulding composites for more than 50 yrs, everything from hulls and spars for "one off" racing sailboats to parts for military contract weaponry, not to mention suspension components and intake manifolds for various racing vehicles.

That experience also enables projects to be built with the correct combination of materials. Composite tech has come a long way from "glass". You can make composites literally bullet proof, and with the right resins you can make it extremely elastic. Panels can be made 1/32" thick that you can't break with a hammer, yet you can bend to 90 degrees and not crack the resin.

I'm not trying to sell anything here. I was approached by several D-90 owners who were looking for an alternative door panel soution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:24 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Matt, let me know hwat they will cost just for the hell of it.

Mike, welcome to the board. IF you have the part # for the early ones, let me know. I have the series style door stops..
Old May 18th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11
Moulding in composites can indeed be very expensive, depending on the project and the approach used, the difference is experience. I work with an engineer that has been moulding composites for more than 50 yrs, everything from hulls and spars for "one off" racing sailboats to parts for military contract weaponry, not to mention suspension components and intake manifolds for various racing vehicles.

That experience also enables projects to be built with the correct combination of materials. Composite tech has come a long way from "glass". You can make composites literally bullet proof, and with the right resins you can make it extremely elastic. Panels can be made 1/32" thick that you can't break with a hammer, yet you can bend to 90 degrees and not crack the resin.

I'm not trying to sell anything here. I was approached by several D-90 owners who were looking for an alternative door panel soution.
Hey,

Have you ever priced having a hood made? That would be something I might be interested in. Maybe others too. Thanks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'm building a hood for my Rangie right now. I'm building it with a carbon outer skin for the looks with a kevlar base layer and nomex core. Its getting the outside raised parts painted body color and the middle is staying carbon like the hood blackout thing. These look to be in the $1500-1800 range, unpainted. Probably going to do a little crash testing out on the trails to make sure we have the right combination of materials, and that they are trail worthy .The disco hood is next on the list (customer truck). The D-90 that I'm building for a customer right now is getting the door panels and custom dash, possibly the hood, I'll have a better idea on the 90 stuff then.

sorry to not have any concrete pricing on this stuff, I was just building it 'cause I can and hadn't really thought about selling them. I'm not really comfortable pimping shite on a forum anyway. I will have some prices soon. Basicly not a huge amount more than F-glass, labor is the same, materials are about 3x.

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
cool, keep us posted Matt
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks,

Very interesting stuff. I help a few customers mill it, but forming is totally over my head. Please keep us posted.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, panels