SSR or Irok - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

SSR or Irok

I've had SSR's for a few years and like them a lot off road. I drive on them around town a little bit and to and from the trail in all weather conditions. And after I finally got them balanced correctly they ride and handle well. They have some road noise now that they are worn down almost half way but I don't mind. They are the best off road tires I've ever run and since they do well on road I love these tires.

So I'm going to be buying another set of tires this summer. Interco is coming out with / or just came out with the Irok ND (non-directional radial) in 32" and 33" sizes. I have not seen the specs. on them yet since Interco has not added it to their web site. But you can see the tire sizes and prices here.They are a lot cheaper then SSR's and I've heard good things about Iroks. I've been out with people running them and they seem to do better off road and I think they are lighter.

So from those of you all that have run both SSR's and Irok Radials which do you like better for on road and off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2007, 11:14 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

I ran 33" SSRs on my D90 on road, sand and a little bit of Sabkha (desert mud)...and have run 36" and 42" IROKs on my Disco...mainly road (mountain roads), snow, mud, rocks, and some sand...

My take is simple - directional tires (including the Simex I ran in 35" flavor) are far better than any non-directional tire, so that's the first "clustering" I'd suggest you think of.

If you are keen on ND tires, then the SSR/Irok variants (softer rubber, siping, etc...) are better than the TSL (which I ran in 32 and 36" flavor too).

Note that the Iroks (Directional) work for, mainly, these reasons:
  • Softer rubber (mileage may suffer)
  • lighter
  • Somewhat more flexible carcass (compared to other TSLs)
  • tread design
  • better suited height/width sizes (can't really explain it, but the tire's height/width combo is better than most others...)
So...given the ND Iroks, I'd seriously think about them...hey...think of it this way, you'll have 3/4s of a full Irok working for you :D

Any reason why you are not going for the directionals? If you are concerned for the spare, I assure you that punctures are somewhat inexistant (I do have a couple of 1/2 palm sized tears on the 36s...)

Nadim

NOTE - the above is for the Irok BIAS
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:51 AM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

I run 33's, and the normal Irok radials only come in like a 33x13.50R17 or something.
That's why I'm running the SSR's now. The Irok ND radials come in a 285/75R16 which should be a better fit and on a rim I have; I don't even know where to get 17" rims. I don't care about the hole spare tire might be backwards thing.
But since they don't come in a size I can run as of now it leaves just the ND's.

Just the price difference alone is making me go towards the Iroks. They are like $130 something and SSR's in the same size range are close to $200 a tire.
I don't really care about road noise or how long they last. I just need something that is good off road and that I can occasionally drive on road without too many problems. And I just feel like trying something new so I think next month I might order a set of the Irok ND's...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:36 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Yeah, I think your needs/logic point you in that direction. My BFG Ats are the 285/75 flavor and think its the best size for a 90 (other than 36s )...

As for the current IROK sizes, I was contemplating getting some used 18" DII wheels and putting the spacers adaptors you find in the UK...not ideal, I know, but my 90 is more street/sand than offroad...

Get them and let us know what you think...

If you have any more questions on the IROKs, lemme know...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

I am going to order 5 of the Irok ND Radials next month. I'll post some pictures and let you all know how they do if anyone is interested.

Old May 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRedD90
I am going to order 5 of the Irok ND Radials next month. I'll post some pictures and let you all know how they do if anyone is interested.
For sure.

Do a write up if you can. And let us know how they perform in the rocks too. Thanks.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
And the mud
Old August 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

I just oredered (5) of these and will do a write up. Plus I live near will peters so we could compare his SSR's to my iroks
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters

Sweet... Ben when you get those let me know. I want to check them out...

Old August 6th, 2007, 12:36 AM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

and help me get the RRC running
Old August 6th, 2007, 12:52 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I'd have to say it is a road oriented tire for people who would not buy the regular IROK. Just look at the sizes. Get the LTBs if you want serious swampers for lo dough, bias off course.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I'd have to say it is a road oriented tire for people who would not buy the regular IROK. Just look at the sizes. Get the LTBs if you want serious swampers for lo dough, bias off course.
Iroks are way better.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 6th, 2007, 01:39 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I'm sure they are if you can fit them since they begin at 36" and wide. I'm not sure about how "WAY" better they are though if they were similiar sized, for dry rocks yes I guess.
Old August 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

I wanted to go with something different than a TSL,SSR, or LTB. I think I was the second person in the USA to put COOPER STT's on a LR3. Plus I've seen fullsize Iroks run and liked them alot
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:37 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

well NTW called me and told me they have no 285/75/r16's left and INTERCO isn't making anymore until january of 08', So they hooked me up with 5 285/75/r16 SSR's for 160.00 a piece
Old December 14th, 2009, 05:26 AM
deslandes
Deslandes stéphane
1998/Defender 90 300Tdi

Registry
After two years, are you happy with IROK ND or TSL?
Have you got pictures as mentionned?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions