Squeaky steering wheel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:44 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Squeaky steering wheel

Hey fellas. Long time no chat. Feels good to be on the forum again and see that it looks exactly the same...

My 1995 D-90 SW has a squeak in the steering wheel. It's plastic on plastic rubbing behind the actual steering wheel part... not sure if there was some deformation over time or maybe a spacer/washer is missing.

Is it easy to get the steering wheel off? I pulled the foam cap and took off the nut, but in a quick wiggle/twist, wasn't able to take it off. There's that steel center piece with mirror-image holes... is there a special wrench to remove the wheel? Didn't want to get too far and not be able to put the wheel back on. The first nut seems to leave some length on the bolt... wonder if I can space the wheel off the steering column with a washer (eliminate the rubbing/squeaking) without compromising the mechanics of the wheel turn.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

You should have two metal tabs on the back of the steering wheel that engage with the turn signal return off switch, the blue ring. If you space it too much those will not connect and you not have the turn signal auto off feature any more.
Some times the steering wheel is hard to come off, usually a little bit of brute force gets it. Either that or a proper puller.
Old March 25th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I had to go through a bunch of pullers before I found one that was small enough to use on my 110 steering wheel.
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2014, 09:49 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KEJXSC

It was small enough and had the correct bolts. The bolts are little 1/4 inch, so make sure you've got them even. I bent one.
Old March 25th, 2014, 09:59 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Slacken the steering wheel nut but don't remove it. Pull, beat and yank the wheel until it pops loose. Remove nut.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:01 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Slacken the steering wheel nut but don't remove it. Pull, beat and yank the wheel until it pops loose. Remove nut.
I tried that, and it did not work for me. Who knows if mine had ever been off before, but it wouldn't budge.
Old March 25th, 2014, 10:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I ground a bit of rubber off the back to stop the squeaking...

Old March 25th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Mine started to squeak too. Sounds like plastic on plastic squeak but I pulled the shroud off so there was NO contact. Still squeaked. I shot penetrating fluid down the tube followed by spray grease but without pulling the wheel so had difficulty getting it in the tube.
Still squeaks! I'll pull the wheel when I get around to it but at least I know it isn't rubbing on the plastic shroud. It has me baffled.
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:40 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Is there room to slip a washer behind the wheel? I'm pretty sure my squeak is the plastic to plastic contact behind the wheel.
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyliang View Post
Is there room to slip a washer behind the wheel? I'm pretty sure my squeak is the plastic to plastic contact behind the wheel.
The wheels engage on a taper. A washer will not work.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilyliang View Post
I haven't had my wheel off yet so don't know if there is room BUT I removed the cowling (plastic) and there was no rubbing. Try that, it is only six screws and a little wiggling and it's off. Way easier than pulling the wheel IMHO. Then you can see if it is plastic rubbing. IF IT IS then the proper fix would be to gently file down the rub spot to make clearance. It would be incorrect and unsafe to be putting washers behind your steering wheel.

I'll say that again. I think it would be unsafe to put washers behind your steering wheel.
Old March 26th, 2014, 08:49 PM
landrovermanuk
John Lindsay
1986 Land Rover 90, 3.9Efi

Registry
I get this on my 90. In my case it's the shroud. It has metal threads pressed into it. The threads pull out if over tightened and then the shroud moves... It may be worth checking this out... John

Land Rover owners like it rough and dirty...
Old March 27th, 2014, 10:17 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Had same squeak

Agree with Greg S. Remove cowling & you can see where the cowling forms up against the back of steering wheel cowling. I put silicone grease on both sides put it back together & almost got rid of the squeak. Light switch gave out a few weeks later, took plastic shroud off again to replace the switch, applied more silicone grease, reassembled everything & switch works & squeak is gone. Been 4-5 months now, hasn't returned. Never had to pull wheel off, I could tell noise was from cowling up against wheel my noise was so loud & obnoxious. No washers spacer or anything else required in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
I haven't had my wheel off yet so don't know if there is room BUT I removed the cowling (plastic) and there was no rubbing. Try that, it is only six screws and a little wiggling and it's off. Way easier than pulling the wheel IMHO. Then you can see if it is plastic rubbing. IF IT IS then the proper fix would be to gently file down the rub spot to make clearance. It would be incorrect and unsafe to be putting washers behind your steering wheel.

I'll say that again. I think it would be unsafe to put washers behind your steering wheel.
Old March 27th, 2014, 11:02 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Get a new wheel. I had the squeak and finally bit the bullet a few years ago and got a new wheel. No squeak.
The wheel was a PITA to get off. I too had tried the rubber mallet and loose nut technique without success. Finally had to borrow a pretty burly puller AND beat it with a mallet.
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:40 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Wow, a new wheel is expensive. Am I right in understanding it's a 36-spline wheel I need for my '95 NAS? Any suggestions as to where to find one?

Is this the right one?:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-D...8081b2&vxp=mtr
Old March 27th, 2014, 06:31 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
I'm waiting for the weekend to try ripping the wheel off, but I poked around and pulled the pad and the cowl off to survey the scene and I can see that the wheel has "sagged" over time and that someone has previously planed (scalloped... as if with a small adze or concave chisel) some material off the back of it to ease the contact.

Just weighing options. The new part outlook seems either pricey or hard to get or both, so I have a feeling I'll be out there with a file, sandpaper and some grease on Saturday...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel