springs/shocks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 8th, 2006, 09:55 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
springs/shocks

Wondering if there is a concensus on when it is time to consider replacing springs/shocks? truck is not sagging, springs and shocks are getting slightly rusted, can't really complain, but have been running the HD OME's for over seven years now.
No leaks yet. I remember someone telling me that susp. components usually start to go after 6 years.. Whats your opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

With me, it's not appearance but performance. If it starts to sag in a corner or something is visually busted, it's time for springs. If it starts getting wobbly and bouncy on one corner or more of the truck, it's shock time. Mine is starting to get kinda bouncy lately, and doesn't sit level from front to rear. I think I need both shocks and springs all around.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:47 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

How hard is it to change the springs/shocks yourself? I am mechanical but haven't done it myself before. Is this something I could do at home with a jack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2009, 11:28 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
I did all shocks and springs this summer. Not a bad job at all. I borrowed a spring compressor from Checker Auto (free loaner tools rock) and it made the job 1000 times easier.

When to change should be totally based on performance. If there are no issues with the ride and handling, wait until there is.
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:15 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

How hard is to do the fronts yourself? Any tips? The backs look easy. This is my next DIY
Old September 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

I am still running the original springs and shocks on the 1997 and lately I have noticed that the is a bob on the drivers side when I go over bumps and driveways. Feels like something is loose, kinda soft. I am thinking its time to to change the shocks, springs and everything else that goes along with it so I know I am set as far as suspension for a long time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions