Springs and shocks logic - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 11th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Springs and shocks logic

So I must really suck at searching on this forum as I could not find what I was looking for so I will ask again. Even though I know this subject has been talked about at nauseam I would like some advice/real world experience.

This is stemming on my last post about ride quality between an NAS 110 and mine.

When I drove the stock NAS 110 it was loads different then my truck in terms of smoothness and overall ride quality. Since it has been almost 15 years since my truck was stock it is hard for me to remember what it was like with stock suspension. So remind me.

Right now I have Old Man Emu medium duty rear springs with 1/2" or so spacer maybe a bit more but not anymore than an 1". In front I have my old Safari Gard Stage III springs I am pretty sure. Again can't recall what they were from so many years ago. They to have some spacers as well. All of that with Bilstein 7100 shocks with 360/80 valving in front and 400/100 in the rear.
Truck is pretty heavy with a full cage, arb bumper and 8274 winch as well as a Disco II rear seat and tire carrier.

My question is what is the best combo to improve ride quality but retain the lift? I have heard from many folks that went back to genuine springs and shocks how much better the ride was. So logic would tell me to do that but then just run spacers to obtain the lift. But I know that logic does not add up necessarily but I am unsure why.

Anyone wanna school me on all of this? I know there is now different schools of thoughts on all of this compared to 10 or so years ago during the SG days.

How do you get the best ride quality while retaining lift and flex? My set up seems rather stiff and so good at absorption.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2016, 02:09 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Maybe this will help if you haven't already stumbled upon it.
http://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexsprings.php
Old March 11th, 2016, 02:14 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Having springs with more lift is something people think they have do to the truck, but in reality is not. If it's your trail beater and you need chassis clearance, yes. Daily driver that sees mostly tarmac? no.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Having springs with more lift is something people think they have do to the truck, but in reality is not. If it's your trail beater and you need chassis clearance, yes. Daily driver that sees mostly tarmac? no.
Yup. Totally agree and understand that. Sadly now it's more daily than trail by a lot. But when I do wheel it I want that clearance and performance. I also have grown quite used to how it looks as well.

------ Follow up post added March 11th, 2016 01:26 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
Maybe this will help if you haven't already stumbled upon it.
Old Man Emu Coil Springs -- EE -- Expedition Exchange Incorporated

Thanks. Have seen that but forgot about it. I shall read up.
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:48 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Just off the top of my head....360/80 and 400/100 shocks are very high rebound. your rebound damping is 800 lbs up front, 900 lbs in the rear. Your springs are most likely in the 250-300 lb/in range.

IMHO buy the cheapest non-gas charged shocks you can find at Meineke or whatever. Keep the 7100s to swap whenever you go off road.

Also check your tire pressure. Too high and the ride gets very harsh. Try dropping your tire pressure to the minimum road-going pressure and see if that helps.
Old March 12th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Thanks for the thought Ed. I always thought the shocks were to stiff but that is what I was told on valving. Thanks for the tip. I need to learn about valving more it appears. But interesting idea on the shocks.
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:43 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I agree that your shock damping is probably the biggest cause of a harsh ride. And you have the luxury of the 7100's being fairly easily valved. I have Fox 2.0's so can't offer numbers, but damping significantly improved the ride on my truck. Although it did take a few tries to get it feeling just right.
Old March 13th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Yeah, throw a few bucks into getting those things revalved and you'll be a lot happier. It seems like a lot of guys think there's a 'one size fits all' valve stack, when the reality is that the shocks need to be tuned to your specific setup and usage for them to really perform. What works well on a loaded down 110 will leave a 90ST feeling like a carriage.

My suggestion is to find a knowledgeable tuner and tell them what you're working with. I just had Ryan at Accutune build me a set of Fox 2.5 coilovers and bypasses for my 110 build, and we've probably spent two hours on the phone running over numbers to get the best baseline tune possible. Things like overall vehicle weight, corner weights, spring rates, mounting angles and motion ratios, bump/droop bias etc are all pieces of information that will help your tuner get them set up as accurately as possible.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 13th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Wirken View Post
. I also have grown quite used to how it looks as well.

Nothing wrong at all with wanting a lifted truck for esthetics.
I think they look better ,too.
It also means you dont need to spend uber $$ on the fanciest shocks out there.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions