Springs and lift, bad disco experience... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Springs and lift, bad disco experience...

So just brain-storming here, but I put a 2 inch on my disco in New Zealand and it rode like chit compared to stock. I believe it was just HD coils that gave the lift, so I can understand the rough ride. The coils were custom made by a place in Christchurch, but man it just handled like crap after the lift. I even put the corrective bushings in when installing the coils.

So after that experience I am a bit loathed to do any kind of lift on the 90 because of my first experience. I recently installed a rockware bumper and winch up front, but honesty does 200 lbs make a difference to run hd or not? I see no sag or anything on my stock setup, so i really wonder what the skinny is on md/hd springs etc or why people think they need them.

My tires are pretty shot now and i need a new set, so I am thinking of bigger. I like the idea of the 255/85 because sounds like they are ok with the stock setup. But I like the idea of the little wider tires. I would love to run 35's or similar but now is not the time for the rest of the gambit of axles, gears, and the rest.

So toying with the idea of a lift to make it work, I hated it on my disco. I love the feel of the 90 now and don't want to change it. I think the 255's will do great for awhile, just wondering about driveability after a lift and what has been done to bring it back to stock.

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I am running 2" Rovertymes with 285-75-16 I love the look and ride. I drove it for years with the stock arms. A couple of years ago I got 3 dgree radius arms and a used set or rovertyme trailing arms. I drove fine with the stock arms but probalbly does drive better with the corrected arms. Some that IMO is a must is wheel spacers. I would have a Defender or Disco without them.
Old June 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Wheel spacers always gave me the willies. It just seems like it's hard on things, but thats just my unbiased, never used hem opinions. It just makes me nervous for some reason...

Thanks for the info dude!
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
So don't put in heavy springs when doing the lift. You can lift with soft springs.

Why do you think you want a lift? A spring lift does not give more tire clearance. It gives a higher normal ride height. This gives better chassis clearance, but does affect handling and stability a little bit.

255/85R16 fit fine with zero mods.

As to the spacer thing... I prefer getting rims with the desired offset instead. It does not cost any more and is a better solution. With the 255, Wolf rims work well and put the tires out farther.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Well just thinking for future bigger tires wants, not needs. the lift would be better.

I have read that a lot on the forum, that lift isn't the way to go if you need/want larger tires. But i read people with 2/3 in lift that run large tires...so the disconnect, not sure. I am used to the old fords where the lift made a difference on the size of tires you can run. I always thought the suspension lift helped fit larger tires, so i guess that's where the old habits come from.

Thanks for the info John, i appreciate it.
Pete
Old June 12th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Anyone run the trxus MT swamper? I looked up reviews and found a bunch of balance issues. Just wondering if it was a jeep thing or what.

4wdsuperstore has a pretty sweet sale now, but my existing bfg AT, be it bald, have no shake at all and that is my biggest pet peeve ever. I don't want to get into a balance deal again, sometimes some tires just never seem to balance.

Thanks,
Pete
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:06 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

IME balance problems usually result from inexperienced tire mounters. They mount the tire and then try to cure all ills with weight. Sometimes you need to unmount the flippin' tire, and rotate it on the wheel to get the heavy spots distributed, or no amount of weight will ever fix it. But try telling that to an 18 year old genius.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

LOL. I read you there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
disco