Spring spacers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Chuck Hester
1995 D90
Spring spacers

Currently running OME Med fronts and OME HD rears...only 1-1.5" of lift. Thinking about adding the 2" CNC spring spacers for 3-3.5" of overall lift. Other than articulation limitations, is there anything else I should be worried about by adding these things (other than driveline/pinion angle correction issues which will be addressed when I lift).

Roverin' Chuck
'95 AA Yellow 90
Old July 22nd, 2004, 10:47 AM
Re-Fendered 90

Why are you going spacers instead of springs? With that high of a spacer you are going to get a lot of lateral movement out of the spring. Causing fatige and maybe failure. The other thing is you will have to address the radius arm ange at that height. Your Down travel is going to be seriously limited unless you do a lot to address it. Also, why so much lift? Anything over 3in is not necessary unless you want to run tires bigger than 37's. My guess is that you want 35's which is the largest that the stock axles can handle after you upgrade everything. In that case, use a .5 or max 1in spacer and you will be fine.

2009 King of the Hammers

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks www.rovertracks.com
PSC www.racesteering.com
DJ Safety www.djsafety.com
West Coast Rovers www.westcoastrovers.com
Reel Driveline www.reeldriveline.com

Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:40 AM
If the spacer is under the lower perch, it also worth checking the clearance of the top of the spring against the chassis rail during full articulation on the front. It may rub on the sides. The spacers will also increase the effective spring free length and then you are looking at longer shocks to match, bump stops, brake extensions possibly etc. Good on you if you make it happen I say.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:56 AM
97 Defender LE SW #44
I wouldn't even consider doing that. But I run stock springs, so don't listen to me.
1st pl Nevada Trophy 2004 & 2003
Currently no Land Rover - may be hunting for a 109" soon. ;)
G550, 06 BMW GSA, 75 Norton Commando "ACE", 06 Ducati Paul Smart, 00 Aprilia RSVR, 73 Moto Guzzi V7s
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:46 AM

Chuck, if you want the large spacers up front, you will need to use a adapter of some sort on the bottom shock mount. And convert to a eye/eye shock. If you are going to retain the stock shock , I think you can only get a 1/2inch spacer under spring due to the stud lenght. Anyway , If you put 764md sp all around, you get close to 3inches. JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions