Spring Retainers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 27th, 2010, 08:30 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

Spring Retainers

While crossing a big wash today on a trail, I wrecked both rear cones. The springs came all the way out past the cones, and when they tried to reseat they destroyed the cones on both sides. It was not at the same time, but it was one after the other on the same obstacle. This has made me an official cone hater. I am now looking to replace with retainers. Where can I find these? I have seen the ones on EE, but wondering if there are other options. Has anyone else experienced this with dislocation cones?
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2010, 08:39 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Rovertym

http://www.rovertym.com/index.php?op...&limitstart=20
Old October 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
or

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/retainers/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2010, 10:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
worm drive band clamps or zip ties.
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:32 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I was happy with the EE ones also.
Old October 28th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I bought an X-spring for my current project, but haven't gotten far enough to try it. www.x-eng.co.uk
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:36 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

DIY- retainers

DIY: simple to make the flat bar type, costs about $12 and 30 minutes of your time, welder needed to weld nuts to bar. Installing them can be a pain…10 minutes one side 45 on the other, smaller hands with long fingers helpful!

Cones are great if you have limiting straps...I have vehicles with both types, cones, retainers, both work well, however, more travel with cones.

-3/8" x 3/4" +/- x width of spring + 1/2" (1/4" sticks out each side & fits in the upper spring seat) scrap bar. Prime & paint.

-Suitable grade 8 bolts- 2 per side, I think 2 5/8” long but need to check. Length is critical, long enough to start into the nut, short enough to fit in spring perch. (flat bars go on top of spring perch and between one spring coil, pinch together when tightened).

-Trick: Welding the nuts to one side of the bar is a must…top bar. Bolts are threaded upwards from inside the spring toward the spring perch. There is not enough room to wrestle with the spring/bar and also hold a lose nut on top.

-I used lock-tight and have only had one bolt come lose over time.
- jack up one side at a time; tire on, just high enough so that the spring starts to be lose from the perch. (make sure brake lines are long enough). Insert bar under 1st coil and thread bolts into second bar on top of perch. Tighten each bolt together. I used a long ratchet extension inside the spring to allow for my fingers to fit between the wider coil space towards the bottom. (spring coils; tighter coils towards the top). Once the bolts are threaded, tighten gradually while lowering the jack to compress the spring.
-cocktail hour...one more DIY off the list...
Old October 29th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I have the EE ones and have been happy with them as well.
Old October 29th, 2010, 07:29 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have an old set Rockware cones and I have tried but have not been able to dislocate them, even on a lift with 35" tires well below the rock sliders. I think that they are slightly longer than other versions. Personally, I like cones, so that I can hear what is going on with the rear of the truck.

Old October 29th, 2010, 10:18 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

The PC on the EE ones lasts about a year in northern states. Better getting them bare and using good paint.
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm installing new springs and shocks all around and I'd like to replace spring mounts as well. Does the EE ones rust? Does anyone make galvanized spring mounts? How come the EE spring mounts are only for the rear?
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I bought an X-spring for my current project, but haven't gotten far enough to try it. www.x-eng.co.uk

Works great, but they will really start working if you get the whole x flex kit. Justin wouldnt let me keep going up the ramp I was hurting his feelings. Later he tried to break the ramp so he didnt have to keep having trophies made for me every year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1035258748_z2nf2-XL.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	34733   Click image for larger version

Name:	1035260298_Af4AV-XL.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	34734  

Old January 14th, 2011, 01:13 AM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

double that on the rockware cones- i have never been able to articulate enough to force the spring outside the cone(trust me- i've tried). what cones are installed on your rig?
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crown14 View Post
Works great, but they will really start working if you get the whole x flex kit. Justin wouldnt let me keep going up the ramp I was hurting his feelings. Later he tried to break the ramp so he didnt have to keep having trophies made for me every year.
Thats enough travel to "win"? And they give out trophies?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s

Thats enough travel to "win"? And they give out trophies?
never been to an east coast rover picnic? you didn't miss much

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions