Spring perch repair - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Spring perch repair

I just got into this and I'm getting more worried by the minute. Warning, some photos might not be safe for viewing if the sight of rust makes you cringe. There is much more rust than I initially noticed and it has me a bit concerned about what to do next. If there is this much on the outside it makes me wonder about what is on the inside also.

I am wondering if any one out there has any strong objections to me just proceeding with putting the new perches on there and moving on? I think at the least I should get some POR 15 everywhere I can after scraping the loose stuff off. At most it's a frame swap but I'm just not there yet.

Also, is there anything in this area that I should be looking at while I'm in here?

Thanks for any advice.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1851.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	41422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1852.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	41423  

Name:	DSC_1853.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	41424  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will have a hard time welding a new perch to that. It's not the perch that is failing but the side of the frame is so rusted its being ripped out.
Old August 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Yeah welding to rusty shite isn't really very good. It seems to be pulling the top layer off and there is another layer under that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

I faced a similar situation with my 110. Ended up with a new galvy chassis direct from http://www.marslands.com/ It was the least expensive solution that I felt comfortable with.
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Would it be bad to sister on a plate to reinforce a couple of feet of the frame there?

I have a lead on a frame from another truck of the same vintage. Haven't seen it yet. If it is in half decent shape would it or could it be resurrected by galvanizing?
Old August 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

People patch up rover frames all the time. However, if the rest of the frame is as sketchy as those pics imply, then it would be a pile of work for what IMO would be a short term marginal solution. They tend to rust from the inside out... IF you are going to go through all of the effort of replacing a frame, the frame itself in a relatively small part of the cost when you factor in labor, down time and every thing else that you'll undoubtedly need to fix/replace. YMMV.
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Yeah this sucks. There are rather big chunks that are completely gone after some investigation with the angle grinder and wire brush.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1855.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	41426  
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time that truck went through an MOT?
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
last MOT inspection expired in Nov. 2009
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

Jeff, probably not what you were budgeting for but George had a good deal on a new 110 Galv. chassis when I talked to him last week. Was less than 3k. He only had one left. If the donor chassis you're thinking of getting is not perfect and I mean zero rust I wouldn't waist the time picking it up, taking it to get galvanized and then all the labor involved in installing it just to save a grand.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
All good points here. You are telling me what I need to hear, unfortunately it's not what I want to hear.

Any idea what motor mounts that frame had?
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.

I think tdi and I think it was in the neighbor hood of 2400 but don't quote me on that. I was really interested in the 2200 dollar 90 frames he sold out of
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:25 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

If you end up replacing the frame, one of the usual domestic sources may work for you. However, don't assume that they will be the cheapest for a new chassis. My new Marslands Chassis delivered to WA was way less than 3k and hundreds less than anyone domestic delivered. Good luck.
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Paul, who did you source it from?
Old August 28th, 2011, 04:44 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Direct from Marsland Chassis, included the td5 style plastic fuel tank to boot.
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I don't really want to replace the frame. I mean, my budget doesn't want to replace the frame, but I would love to have a new one of course! All I really want to do is replace the spring perches. I ordered them a few months ago and they have been sitting around waiting for me. I guess the consensus so far is to not waste time polishing a turd.
Old August 28th, 2011, 09:55 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The shitty part is that you will find many other things that will need to be replaced once you start the frame swap. Just do it right, even if you have to save up a bit... It will be worth it once you finish. There are plenty of guys in NC, that will be willing to help... Bring it to URE/Uwharrie on Oct 20-23, and you will have a bunch of guys ready to help.

Old August 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

Not to hijack this post but can individual frame parts be bought and if so where. I picked up a really nice frame that has been hit in the front left side. And the piece where the radius arm attaches to the frame has gotten torn out. anyone know where to get that or the complete outrigger?
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:50 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
So perches are already bought? If the rest of the frame is ok, or will last as long as you think you can go before you are ready to replace the whole frame, buy some 1/8th metal plate and put as big a piece as you can along the frame there and be sure to get as much weld as you can onto any good metal (cut holes in the plate and "spot weld" as well as along the edges). Then put on your perches.

It should tide you over.

charles

------ Follow up post added August 28th, 2011 10:59 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime View Post
Not to hijack this post but can individual frame parts be bought and if so where. I picked up a really nice frame that has been hit in the front left side. And the piece where the radius arm attaches to the frame has gotten torn out. anyone know where to get that or the complete outrigger?
Like this?

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...K-BRKT-LH.html

They (and many of the other UK sites) sell outriggers and such too.

But take a look at a disco 1 and I expect you'll find those sections are identical. You should be able to find those bits locally off a disco in a junk yard
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Charles you are the man! That is what I was hoping to hear. It definitely won't be the real fix for the long term. I know that if I do a swap there will be countless other things to dig into so I am hesitant to go that far right now. The outriggers were replaced some time ago and really the rest of the frame is decent. I think I am seeing the worst of it right here. I hope at least.

I bought the perches from lrsseries and yes they do have many other frame "attachment" parts as well.

I have been trying to figure out what it is that I want to do with this truck and today I can't stop thinking of hacking it into a 100". I could get another frame and use the bits I have to build the truck, then use the left over frame to build a trailer. I like what you did with your trailer Charles and have been thinking of that since you posted sone of your build photos. Is that operational now?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions