Spring Isolators - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:31 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Thumbs up Spring Isolators

Howdy all.

I am leaning toward installing these spring isolators (https://www.expeditionexchange.com/genuine/) in the rear spring tops and the rubber tower retainers in the front, to give a slight lift and quiet down the impact of suspension action on the chassis.

Lee relates they are factory installed on Discos and maybe other models. Anyone have experience with their net effect?

Also, what do you use to compress the spring down to do spring work?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

No eperience with these, but they look awesome. After reading the write up these are going on the list of to dos.
Old January 26th, 2004, 09:35 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Wicks-

The rear springs should just drop out when you remove the shocks and lift the frame. Even with OME springs.

With 3 or 4 inch lift springs you may need a spring compressor. Use a strut compressor Auto Zone rents them,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2004, 09:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

No need for a spring compressor for the rear of a D90. Undo the bottom of the shock and unseat it. You will be able to drop each corner enough to let the spring fall out of the top.

Those isolators work pretty good on our disco. When I installed the EE retainers I didnt put them back in and even clamped down the springs rattled a bit. Just put them back in and they are all quiet again. The do make a differance.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old January 27th, 2004, 12:19 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

I just placed my order tonight. I'll keep you informed.
Old January 27th, 2004, 01:51 AM
c2sox
Al Cruz
93 110 #428 and 01 Disco SD7

I just replaced mine recently, well truthfully John did I just helped him wrench a bit. Anyway, yes their great!

Well in my case we used spring compressors for the rear, I used OME 754's. These coils were stout and we couldn't have installed them without the compressors. Save yourself some money and just rent them out for free from Pep Boys, they will require a deposit.

Al
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:09 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Thanks guys.

Al, are you talking about the isolators, or springs? Did you fit the rubberized shock tower retainer to the front as well?
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

AWW man! Thats part of the fun of driving it. I love it when I have a passenger and I have to slam on the brakes and the rear springs pop out a little but make all kinds of noise. You should see the look on their face.
Old January 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wicks, if you put jack stands under the frame then put a jack under the axle and remove the tires, you can just lower the axle down enough for the upper part of the spring to pop out. I did this with even 3" springs with no problem.
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Al, are you talking about the isolators, or springs? Did you fit the rubberized shock tower retainer to the front as well?
I have ran with and without the rubber isolator and it really makes no difference at all. If you really want one though, get one at Pep Boys for $5 they have one size fits all.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:19 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

David, so you've never used these Genuine ones, only the PB special?
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Nope not the genuine ones, but rubber is rubber But, if you like, I can buy ones from Napa and put a LR sticker on there and sell them to you for an extra $10. Man I crack myself up, nothing but love

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 27th, 2004, 03:43 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

What! Come on Dave, rubber is not rubber! Strictly speaking, normal rubber is by far inferior to any and all rubber products displaying the LR logo. The price difference alone proves that!

Wicks

I don't think you'll see any drastic noise reduction with these. If you really wanted to quite down the cab you might be better off laying down some dynamat or other sound deadening material. As far as I can tell these rubber retainers were probably only manufactured for the Disco's to further enhance the noise reduction inside the vehicle. Although, if you're looking for the whole package (a silent D90) then I'd put down some deadening material & install the rubber towers as well.

DJ
Old January 27th, 2004, 04:04 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i don't think a little rubber donut would be worth the time or effort on a D-90 especially to make the inside more quiet. as far as a lift you seem to have a good bit of stuff on your SW i think its effects would be be negligible at best. my .02$
Old January 27th, 2004, 06:18 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

could it be?

that there actually comes a time when you have done all that you should do to your d-90? sounds like you're there, bro.
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:55 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

I won't be done until I'm in a 110 Crew Cab with power windows!

Old January 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
c2sox
Al Cruz
93 110 #428 and 01 Disco SD7

Wicks,

Actually on the 110 I used the rubberized shock tower securing rings and when I converted my D2 from SLS to coils I used the rubberized spring isolators on the rear.

To be honest it's not like a night and day difference. Minimal change on the 110, but quite a change on the D2. I tried to go the CB route initially but realized that I really needed the isolators after all....much improved with them on. On the 110 it was a personal preference to go with the rubberized shock tower securing rings. She was getting a lift at the time and I was also replacing the shock towers so it was a good idea to replace the securing rings at the time and I'm glad I did it.

Al

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions