Spring Isolator and spacers, AKA the mini lift? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

Question Spring Isolator and spacers, AKA the mini lift?

On a recent trip to Colorado I ripped a lot of lugs off my tires on the trails and was forced to buy a set of all/terrains to get me home (BFG A/T 285/75/16 now for sale!) Now back I'm putting on some more aggressive tires and would like to try and fit some BFG M/T KM2 305/70/16s. I have spacers so I don't feel they will rub inside too much but wanna get a small amount of space between them and the arches so I came up with a plan and am wondering if it will work.

Here it is:

top-mount/isolator/spring/isolator/spacer/bottom-mount (using a spring retention kit to keep everything in place)

1.Has anyone used the spring isolators from EE? If so how much height do they add?

2.EE says they can be used with there spring retainers but can I also fit a 1-1 1/2in spring spacer in there too with longer bolts??

There is a long travel suspension is down the road but right now I'm just trying to give the new tires a little breathing room.

Long, odd question, so thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Lifting the springs is not what controls tire clearance. The bump stops control compression travel. With spring lift, it "seems" there is more clearance, because with a static articulation test, things sit higher. But, one day, in a dynamic situation, they will compress until the bump stops hit. That is where you must check clearance.

Now, some spring lifts will actually fully collapse the spring before hitting the bump stops.... This is a bad design as it is hard on the axles and hard on the springs. People really should remove the springs and check articulation clearance using only the shocks and bump stops. At the same time, you can check that there is room for the springs to fit without fully collapsing.

The factory spacers are around 1/2".

I'm pretty sure a 305/70/16 will hit and require some minor flare trimming and longer bump stops in the rear. A lot depends on the wheel used.
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Defender90_218
Trenton Smith
1997 D90

i know the tire will fit as its the same diameter as 285s just a slight bit wider, like I said I'm just trying to do a small lift to ease up a little room, if that can be done by just adjusting the bump stops thatd be great. Im just using the stock 5-spokes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM
bitz
Jon
NAS D90, 85 D110 CSW, 66 Dormobile

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac