Spring and Winch - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Jeff Hirsch
1995 Red ST
Spring and Winch

I have read that I should get HD springs in the front if I get a winch. I was just wondering if I did my suspension before I got the winch would it drive weird? Should I get 4 HD springs?

As of right now I am leaning toward genuine HD springs. Not sure on shocks. Also is this based purely on the weight of the winch of does the bumper play a big role. I have seen so many bumpers out there ranging from stock to ARB to the one on ECR trucks. Is this weight factored too?

Old March 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have never seen a rover in person

If you like the ride height now, I would go with just front HD springs to compensate for the winch/bumper. A normal warn with syntetic rope and factory winch bumper will only add about 100lbs and will not be noticeable.

*not legal advice*
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
If you fit HD fronts with no extra weight up there, you might get odd handling. my 110 was like this, the steering was very twitchy and the self centering got rather vague.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Jeff, perhaps find a kid about the right weight and have them sit on the front (or by some play sand or something). This should give you an idea if the additional weight will even be a factor.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM
barry f
94 ST #395
I did genuine HD springs all around and I have undermount winch. I find the steering to be lighter now. Not a huge fan of it. In my mind I also attribute it to the skinny tires as compared to what my 90 drives like
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions