Spray on liner for interior - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: Would you put a spray liner in your 90?
Yes Rhino Liner 15 26.79%
Yes Line-X 24 42.86%
Redo Carpet 5 8.93%
No leave it 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 9th, 2006, 12:07 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

Spray on liner for interior

For the last month or so my 90 has been just sitting in my barn because of the cv joint so while I was waiting on it to come in I started to clean up the truck on the inside. It was pretty trashed out from the past owner so all the carpet had to go. Right now I'm wondering whether or not to replace with carpet do some sort of spray liner. Would the spray liner be worth the money, I talked with Charles at RA and he said it usually costs about $800-$900 but will probably be less because I have taken out the carpet and jump seats already. Would any of these things affect the resale value. The inside is in great shape but I'm gonna be pretty hard on it when I go hunting,fishing, and camping so that's where liner would help I think. I'm gonna try to put a poll on this so tell me guys what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2006, 12:33 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I have thought about that process before, but decided to waxoil (interior type) instead. Floors and such I maintain, clean and wax as well. I guess I didn't want to deter from original, and/or maybe end up in the long run with a lot of hard goop in the vehicle..?
Old June 9th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Chris V

The first thing I did to my Defender back in '97 was to strip everything out and Rhino Line the whole interior. I would recommend it to any Soft top vehicle. I just shot my F250 bed with Stead Fast Full Metal Jacket and I like the finish they were able to get with it better than the Rhino Lining (no drips)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

I removed all the dashboard and Dynomatted all the floor and firewall (bulkhead) for noise and heat attenuation then went for en Exmoor liner (3/4 " rubber based material) that can be hosed down for cleaning that is molded for your truck.

Dynomat Extreme kind of waterproofs the floor if done properly.

Alot quieter (as much as what this means with a 200 Tdi) and easy to maintain.

My 0.02$

Pat
Old June 9th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I did the inside of a customers 110 in LineX...it is great. I also have LineX in my F250s bed...again is working great. I plan to do my D90 soon.
Old June 9th, 2006, 07:51 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I just did the Rhino liner. I like the texture of Rhino better. If I were throwing bricks or stone blocks in the back lick a pickup I would have leaned toward the line-x

The guys who did mine did an incredible amount of prep work. I took the roll cage and everything out but the steering wheel. They took out the seatbox, coated the inside and and prepped/filled some rust in the bulkhead area. I think the prepwork is key for either product. I would visit both dealers and check out their work.
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Mine has a rough textured truck bed stuff sprayed in it and I hate it. It catches every last bit of dirt and is like trying to clean out coarse sand paper.

I've gone so far as to start scraping it out, POR15 coating the inside, and lining everything with factory rubber mats.
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:29 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

who cares about resale?are you not keeping this thing forever?thats why you are putting in a spary in bed liner-so it looks nice for a long time.i did a color match line-x.love it and will do it again if i ever get another
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM
WestTexasDefender
Sam Allen
'97 LE #234

pat, that sounds pretty nice but had to of cost a fortune with all that dynomating. where did you get that exmoor liner i've never heard of that. if you don't mind pm me if you remember how much that cost.

andrew what kind of liner did you get? i've never really heard of that happening.

matt, i don't see me selling it anytime soon i plan on doing a diesel swap and making all sorts of stuff to make it last as long as i can but my main concern is this the most practical thing to do with a hard top, i think for the abuse i'll be throwin at it with hunting and fishing trips it would be. i bet whatever i do will be black i don't think matching the willow green would look to good as it might with other colors.
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

I didn't put it in, but it's literally like super coarse sand paper. We live on a dirt road and I haven't had the top on for a month, and it looks like shit. If you could get the smoother type of bed liner sprayed on, I think it would be great, but I'm not going that route.
Old June 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
if you have a sw i can see replacing it to original. so, i would say replace carpets. in my case i am coverting my 97 sw to st so i am in favor of line-x. good luck in what ever direction you chose.
Old June 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Any of you guys that have lined your D90 (especially the tub) could you post some pictures? It doesn't matter whether its Line-X or otherwise. I'd just like to get a visual before I make a decision. Thanks.

DJ
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I would say to add the interior rubber package of the Soft top...........I love mine.....

However I do have some rust forming under the driver and passenger floor mats.....I know I will have to address that at some point.......

Flagg
Old June 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I have a SW with factory original carpet and LR rubber mats in front and back. I hunt and fish out of mine and have had good luck with it. It also stays pretty dry inside in the rain so rust hasn't been a problem yet.

When I do get water under the mats I take them out until they dry out.
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Line-X kicks butt. I sprayed my sliders withit. Looked great, non slip and tough as the steel it was sprayed on!
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasDefender
pat, that sounds pretty nice but had to of cost a fortune with all that dynomating. where did you get that exmoor liner i've never heard of that. if you don't mind pm me if you remember how much that cost.
You can see the Exmoor liner HERE. Select Matting from the left column under 90/110/130. It's touted not only as matting but soundproofing too.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdh
who cares about resale? are you not keeping this thing forever?
I've seen a lot of butchery done to vehicles that was rationalized by that thinking.

I look at spray-on bedliner as I would a tattoo - seems like a good idea at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mms_large.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	5863  
Old June 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The problem with an Exmoor one piece job is WHEN water gets under it it's a pain to dry out. When not if.

1. Either do a liner and pay for it.

2. Or, brush on a liner-type product over all the metal and then use rubber mats. This will prevent rust developing and allow you to easily dry out. Oh, and it's much cheaper too.
Old June 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I plan on doing mine later this year. Member of our club owns SuperLiner and is going to do it for me. He can colormatch and even do graphics. He's offered to do a Land Rover logo in the bed. I was thinking of having him do the cappings too. I haven't decided on that yet. I'll definitely post pics once it's done.
Old June 11th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Exmoor ...

I am still going for the Exmoor but I will defently go for the Rhino lining for the battery compartment. Otherwise the Dynamat Extreme if instaled properly (nice and warm with a roler) will keep everything nice and dry underneath, and if water does get underneath you can wipe it out with a cloth. I will use a sealer (household type scelant) on the Exmoor trim to prevent water infiltration.

My 0.02$

Pat
Old June 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

i rhino-lined and i love it. it is only as good as the prep that you do but it is one of the best things to do to protect the rover.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
interior