Spray on liner for interior - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

View Poll Results: Would you put a spray liner in your 90?
Yes Rhino Liner 15 26.79%
Yes Line-X 24 42.86%
Redo Carpet 5 8.93%
No leave it 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 11th, 2006, 07:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I rhino-lined the bottom of my seat box and floors for noise and heat abatement. I dont like the indiscriminate covering of everything inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 11th, 2006, 10:54 PM
mattdh
Matt Hurst

rubber mats are going to trap water and accelerate any corrosion especially with steel fastners and alloy floor panel.captain-that rationalization of "are you not going to keep that thing for every" will also give you some of the nicest rovers you have ever seen.i am sure many of the guys on this list have sunk alot of cash in to their rover that they will never see if the ever resell the rover(all in the mind frame of i am keeping this thing forever)creating some rover we all admire and would like to have.i would guess you would see more "butchery" on someones rover with out that attitude?
Old June 11th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Captain Spalding
Captain Spalding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdh
that rationalization of "are you not going to keep that thing for every" will also give you some of the nicest rovers you have ever seen.i am sure many of the guys on this list have sunk alot of cash in to their rover that they will never see if the ever resell the rover(all in the mind frame of i am keeping this thing forever)creating some rover we all admire and would like to have.i would guess you would see more "butchery" on someones rover with out that attitude?
I don't mean to start the old "stock vs. modified" debate. To our credit as Defender owners, the Defender is most frequently modified to suit a functionality that its owner is trying to obtain, rather than a "look" to suit mere vanity (although I'm sure that happens too, on a relatively small scale.) Each of us wants to tailor his or her vehicle to the conditions under which we drive it, and I fully support that. I am as impressed and envious as the next guy when I see the ingenuity that some have applied to their vehicles.

OTOH, perhaps I am more saddened than most when I see an instance of lame design or poor craftmanship of someones "X-treme" mod that leaves an otherwise nice vehicle permanently scarred. My brother and father restore antique cars, and though I don't participate much in that hobby, maybe I'm a little infected by their thinking. As drivers of somewhat rare and collectible cars, we are as much custodians as owners. Even though you may keep your truck until your dying day, unless you plan to be buried in it, it will be passed on to someone else. I'm not saying you owe it to posterity to keep your truck stock or pristine. And we are all entitled to be as reckless as we want with our modifications. What I do with my truck will lie somewhere inbetween.

And so, IMHO, and for the benefit of the next Defender owner, I feel that extra caution is due when considering something like a spray-in bed liner. While I don't consider it in the X-treme category, it merits a second thought because it is either impossible or prohibitively expensive to undo. I have seen some well-used and pretty tatty looking truck beds that can never be made to look decent again, except by respraying with plastic - and how many times can that happen until the results are unsatisfactory? Not a fate that I would want for the vehicle I will keep for the rest of my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2006, 05:18 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

the problem I see with all these liners is that when I get trucks in the shop to take apart that have been sprayed, it is a REAL pain in the ass to take apart and the lining gets destroyed. I've also found water trapped under the liner in the seat box, floor and bulkhead joints that have accelerated corosion in those areas.

I do line interiors at customer request, but I do it when the truck is all apart and then assemble the component parts. I would think that at least the floor panels and trans. tunnel should be taken out and done separatly (not the tunnel as there is no point in doing the plastic).

Line-X has the best, most durable finish as far as have seen. It also seems to have the nicest finish long term.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old November 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Has anyone used one of the spray-on soundproofing materials on the underside of the body? I was thinking that it might be quite effective to do this then coat in a bed-liner material for longer durability, at least while I have everything apart it seems like the time to do it. I'm hoping to preserve the ability to take the panels apart for repair/replacement in the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old November 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I used QuiteCar on the whole interior and some of the underbody. Made quite a differeence and is holding up even under the front matts where it always seems to be damp!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
interior